We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marco island versus sanibel island

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
reviews: 3
marco island versus sanibel island

Our family of 5 will be flying into Fort Myers at the end of May. We are debating whether to stay on Sanibel Island or Marco Island for the week. Our kids range in age from 2 to 7 years (7,5,2 - all girls). Are there advantages or disadvantages to either location? I was slightly leaning toward Marco Island, but we wanted other opinions - thanks!

Leicester, United...
reviews: 29
1. Re: marco island versus sanibel island

We've stayed on MI 3 times (daughter was 8 the very first time) and stayed on S.I once when she was 14..... She adores MI - I have to say she actually asked if we had taken her to a retirement island!! BUT on saying that there are loads and loads of families that visit S.I each year and love it for the shelling and the quietness I think.

Our daughter obviously had experienced many more euorpean holidays and they are so different in the states... everyone eat earlier than in europe... then there's litle to do with a young person.over htere .. in europe whether you consider it right or wrong..one can sit and enjoy their company late in the evening in either a restaurant or bar..without them having a totally outrageous late to bed routine.

Sanibel Island is lovely - there's lots of things to learn about nature, and the museum is very good for children..could view http://www.sanibelisland.com -- and of course there is the The J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge (http://www.fws.gov/dingdarling/) that I am sure the girls will enjoy - watching out for diiferent birds and animals..

Marco Island... hmm same thing - museam.. could take them to Everglade city for airpoat ride or go looking for manatees in the rivers... ( See http://www.marcoreview.com for some ideas )..

Oh dear sorry i am not helping much... you have a hard decision....good luck - whichever you choose - it will be a splendid experience for all the family..

New Jersey
reviews: 2
2. Re: marco island versus sanibel island

I have stayed at both Marco and Sanibel Island. My kids and I prefer Sanibel. Marco is mostly high rise hotels on a strip of sand. Sanibel feels like you are actually on an island-very natural setting-not many high rise hotels. If you can afford to splurge on a hotel-Sundial Resort is tops. They have great pools for the kids, day camps and babysitters that will come to your room to watch the kids. There's plenty of fun things to do-Ding Darling Refuge is nice, bike riding. It's a much more laid back and relaxing island than Marco. If your flying into RSW it's also much closer to the airport than Marco.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 29
3. Re: marco island versus sanibel island

Hi I've just copied this from a review about the hilton on MI.. they have small children may be worth contacting them directly?

"We had checked in with our 4 small children and had been

pampered from the time we pulled into the parking lot. You see

we left the Sundial Resort on Sanibel Island to come here. My review of the Sundial is there under Sanibel Island Sundial

Resort. We are coming back to the Hilton in Feb. and can't wait.

Stayed for a week and loved every minute of it. We had a Jr. Suite

that had fit our family just fine. The shelling is better here than at Sanibel too! The food is good, the room service is excellent.....

what a place !!!!!

4. Re: marco island versus sanibel island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 13, 2009