We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannons by the sea with toddlers?

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee Ridge...
reviews: 2
Cannons by the sea with toddlers?

Would this be a good fit? I am used to destin beaches. Is the sand/water similar on longboat? We like to catch creatures and gather shells... Pretty much looking for the best toddler friendly beach and water.

1 reply
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
reviews: 68
1. Re: Cannons by the sea with toddlers?

Longboat will be a lot less crowded. I suspect you'd find the sand/water similar, and the Longboat beaches certainly worked with our little ones years ago. Being on the Gulf, we don't get big surf/waves (unless a storm comes through, of course). And the slope of the beach is very gentle as well -- a great place for little ones to play. There are no lifeguards or concession stands on the beach; as I said, it is uncrowded -- a very natural environment.

You have a couple of options with Cannon's. They offer a couple of units in some condos at about mid-Key on Longboat. That's close to a small retail center where there is an excellent grocery store, drug store, etc. The condos, too, have a community pool with them. In addition, Cannon's offers four cottages on the north end of Longboat, near their boat rental place. These are not fancy, but they are right on the beach and quite private; picture "Olde Florida" and that's what they're like (except they do have central a/c). This area of Longboat is a bit farther from grocery, etc. places. Several places you would want to keep in mind if you decide on Longboat. There is a park on Longboat with paths to walk and a nice children's playground. There is also a good bike shop where you can rent bikes of various sizes, including some to tow along kids. Just off the south end of Longboat is an aquarium which would be a must-visit place for you. The kids might also enjoy a ride on the boat that goes out from the aquarium.

Reply to: Cannons by the sea with toddlers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key