We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining options

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 4
dining options

that are near Seahorse Beach Resort? Also I seem to recall a publix

somewhere near there?

Does the trolley stop near Seahorse? Any suggestions appreciated

for the area

7 replies to this topic
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
reviews: 68
1. Re: dining options

The Publix is close by -- maybe half-mile (a healthy walk if it's not too hot!); it's an excellent Publix. There's also a CVS drugstore, liquor store, a bank or two, post office, etc. But you won't feel as if you're in a busy commercial zone; it's all nicely landscaped and just off Gulf of Mexico Drive.

The trolley does stop very close to SeaHorse. I think the current rate is $1.00 but it may have gone up. Frequency is limited, though -- about once an hour -- so you'll definitely want to rent a car.

Suggestions for the area? I wonder what your primary interests are.

Michigan
2. Re: dining options

Really we like to do a bit of sightseeing but mostly just kicking back

Maybe the aquarium In Sarasota and the Ringling museum but don't

see a whole lot happening

would love to do Busch gardens but hubby has some bum knees so

don't really think that is an option :(

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
3. Re: dining options

The Mote aquarium is just across the bridge off the south end of LBK. There are a couple of buildings involved, with a short walk between them. Even if you stay only in the one building that is a nice experience and it should not be all that difficult with bad knees. From the aquarium there is a boat that goes into the Bay that you could also take; a short walk to get onto the boat but then you'd have a nice ride and learn some things about the area.

The Ringling area is huge, many buildings and a wonderful place to visit. There are complimentary vehicles that take you from one building to another. A portion of the Ringling is free on Mondays.

You might also enjoy Selby Gardens. There is some walking involved there as well but many folks with bad knees seem to handle it with no problem.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
4. Re: dining options

The headline for your original post said "Dining Options". Is that still on your mind? What type of food do you like?

Michigan
5. Re: dining options

LOL I forgot all about the dining part of my subject

I definitely need those-we like the fish and such also

steaks seafood Mexican really not picky

This is kind of pathetic as we are not even booked until

next March I am a bit of a planner :)

thanks for all your help so far cbchrc

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
reviews: 96
6. Re: dining options

Come back and visit this forum a month before your arrival date.

I am sure places like the Drydock Waterfront Grill, Lazy Lobster and others will be around.

Maybe there will be some new kids on the block, too..stay tuned.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
7. Re: dining options

Definitely Lazy Lobster and DryDock, as mentioned. I prefer DryDock at lunchtime, Lazy Lobster for dinner but they're crowded and especially in peak season so plan to make a reservation about a week ahead next March. DryDock is maybe 8 minutes drive, Lazy Lobster about 6 minutes drive. Closer yet is Pattigeorge's; they have a great Bahamian lobster tail, nice sunset view out over the Bay. At the north end of Longboat is Mar Vista, casual Jimmy Buffett kind of place on the water. And if you're at the Mote around lunchtime, a half-block away from there is Old Salty Dog -- very casual, on the water. For a special meal on Longboat, great food and great service, I like Harry's Continental Kitchen; again phone ahead for reservations.

Quite a few options await you on St. Armands (example: Columbia, a Cuban restaurant) and many others downtown -- from steak to a variety of ethnic restaurants.

Reply to: dining options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key