We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
88 posts
Sharks

We are planning to go to Longboat this July. We been to Florida couple years ago (Disney) but now want just to go to beach and relax with kids. I was just wondering if anyone can give some inout about sharks in florida. I recently saw on news this huge shark migration where

they have to desert the beaches. Do sharks attack in shallow water close to the shore where most of people swim?

Fort Myers, Florida
1 post
1 review
11. Re: Sharks

We just returned from Longboat Key Club resort. We stayed May 9-12, 2014. On the first day (5/9) there was a shark sighting near shore by the resort so the beach water was closed that day. On the second day, my husband and children were in water when manatees came up to them. They hung around all day. It is the Gulf - there are sharks. There are two youtube videos of Longboat key that has some people showing bull sharks in shallow water and a huge 12 ft hammerhead running its prey ashore. They are out there. The worst thing were the rip tides though so stay close to shore. We were able to find 5 sharks teeth on the beach after much sifting through shells. Bring a sifter with you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
21 reviews
12. Re: Sharks

sharks teeth on beaches are very old- like millions of years and are black, grey or bown not white. They are found just souht on Venice, manasota key and gasparilla island beaches.

i have never seen one up on the white sand beaches.

13. Re: Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key