We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Colony

Which Longboat Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 7
The Colony

We have been to The Colony on Longboat several times over the years. We have always enjoyed it. I am really surprised at the comments on tripadvisor!

We have always known it to be pretty much the same, each time we've gone back.

This is a 'special' trip for my husband and I..(won't bore you with details,) but I'd hate to be going there again, to find it completely run down, which is the general impression I'm getting by reading the reviews.

We will be there over the Valentine's Day weekend. I booked at the restaurant there, to view the sunset (if we get a good table,) but I'm wondering..should I be booking some place in St. Armand's Circle, like Cafe L'Europe?? I haven't been there in awhile either, but I hope it's still up to par.

Advice from any of you would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
reviews: 124
1. Re: The Colony

The condos at the Colony have seen better days.

There has been an ongoing dispute over who is responsible for maintenance of common areas etc. and other issues.

The Colony Dining Room is still a nice place for dinner.I had lunch at Cafe L'Europe today. It's OK, but not award winning. There are other choices..

What type of cuisine etc are you looking for? waterfront?

~SRQgirl

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: The Colony

Hi!

Thanks for writing. I appreciate it. Geez, I guess we're out of luck now because I'm flying down to Sarasota tomorrow. We're all booked in at The Colony.

We like something where the food is out of this world (lots of good seafood for me and maybe some thick, juicy steak for my dear husband!) We loved Cafe L'Europe when we were there years ago.

So, something on a similar scale...where would you choose then? We want a dress up night! *s*

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
reviews: 79
3. Re: The Colony

It will be interesting to hear your reaction to the Colony. The "dispute" actually involves competing lawsuits over lack of funds for maintaining the property. As for Cafe L'Europe, my own experience is that it leaves a lot to be desired. A special night out? I'd go to Pattigeorge's or Harry's, both on Longboat.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: The Colony

We have been to Pattigeorge's. I know everyone raves about it, but I wasn't impressed. I liked it the way it was (a good Italian restaurant,) years ago!

Not familiar with Harry's but we will check it out. Thanks for the input.

I sure hope we aren't really majorly disappointed when we hit The Colony. We really used to love it there and they're still charging the big bucks to stay there.

I don't see a way out now though. I'll try to let you know what my comments are when I get back.

Thanks again!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
reviews: 124
5. Re: The Colony

You might also consider Euphemia Haye on Longboat.

If yopu don't mind the drive, you could go to the Beach Bistro on Anna Maria Island.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
6. Re: The Colony

Euphemia Haye is definitely a great idea for a special night out. Maybe stop by there and by Harry's (they're within a block of each other) during the day and check out their dinner menus and ambiance. Also a good suggestion for Anna Maria. And if you're willing to drive a few miles in the opposite direction, Ophelia's on Siesta Key would be a winner as well. A shorter distance, off the keys, would be Bijou downtown.

London, United...
reviews: 18
7. Re: The Colony

I came here tonight hoping to read about my favorite Florida vacation spot, Longboat Key. We used to go there every winter, did so every year for over 25 yrs, but the last time I was there was winter of 2002 when I spent 2 months there. Until that 2 month stay when we rented a condo on the Gulf side, we always stayed at the Colony. I'm sorry to hear that it is no longer what it once was. There were a couple of times years ago when things weren't updated or maintained as they should be, but the ambience was still there. This latest news is very sad to me!

I also remember way back when......the Cafe L'Europe was an award winning restaurant, so sad to see it is no longer what it once was either! What are the most popular restaurants on St Armand's now? I think the last place I ate there was Tommy Bahama.

Back to Lonboat, do people still go to Mar Vista to eat for a casual meal? There was also a restaurant we enjoyed that was in the Longboat Key Club that was by where Publix is. It was quite good, there was a marina there too I believe. I can't remember the name of that restaurant though. I did enjoy Pattigeorge's more after the redo than when it was the Italian restaurant.

Still have wonderful memories of LBK! Loved it so much.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
8. Re: The Colony

Gabby- Some of the old favorites are still around. Mar Vista is still a great spot to go. As for the place on the Bay "behind the Publix" in the LBK Club property, that was called Cafe on the Bay. It has moved up to mid-island at the Centre Shops; no longer on the Bay, but still nice food. Glad you liked Pattigeorge's; so do I. Other great restaurants on Longboat include Euphemia Haye and Pattigeorge's. As for St. Armands, you might want to try Cork on your next visit. I'm not a fan of Cafe L'Europe, but Columbia is fun for an ethnic meal.

London, United...
reviews: 18
9. Re: The Colony

I ate at the Columbia many times. I know people love it but it never did it for me for some reason. Glad to know that Mar Vista is still a great place to go!Thanks for helping me with my walk down memory lane. I now live in England but go to the US several times a year. Unfortunately, Florida is not ever on the agenda. Maybe someday I'll get back though and if I do, it would definitely be to LBK!

10. Re: The Colony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Longboat Key