We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ventura, ca
reviews: 3
Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

We are celebrating 25 yr anniversary! Planning to spend 2 nights, at a fun Key Largo or Islamorada resort, to get quaint, charming, key lime pie feel,resort preferably on the Gulf side(I think). This will break up the drive to our 3 night stay in Key West. Key West we will splurge a bit on hotel and probably stay at the Southernmost on the Beach, unless there is a better beachfront resort? The 2 night hotel I need some suggestions please, we would like to spend under $150 a night and get free bike usage, continental breakfast, have pool & Jacuzzi stay open late and be walking or bike distance to restaurant, stores, points of interest. We are considering an Everglades excursion too, which company offers good inexpensive deal? Location, charm, and cleanliness are most important. I appreciate your input, thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 91
1. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Your best bet for the Everglades will be to stop by the Anhinga Trail near the South entrance of the park in Homestead. Its a small compact trail, loaded with wildlife...

ventura, ca
2. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Ok thanks I'll map that out. Do they offer any boat rides there?

Knoxville
reviews: 4
3. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

We stayed at Chesapeake Beach Resort a couple of years ago and REALLY liked it! The property has a lagoon for snorkeling, pool and hot tub, hammocks by the water, and plenty of beach "toys" free of charge (kayaks, hobbie cats). I am almost positive they had continental breakfast, but I don't think there were any bikes to use. The resort is located in Islamorada, and there are restaurants and shops within walking distance, although Islamorada is not set up for walking from place to place (easily, anyway). I think the price is right around what you are wanting to spend. Hope this helps!

ventura, ca
4. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Ok thanks I'll map that out for Everglades. Do they offer any boat rides there? Chesapeake was on my list to look into, so thank you for your information!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
5. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

To get a boat ride into the Everglades from the Florida City side (which is what we are talking about here), you need to go to Flamingo at the end of the road. That's about a 45 min drive. You'll be in the Keys with lots of opportunities to go out on boats so not sure I would invest in that drive.

I'll second the Anhinga Trail. You don't need a guide - just drive yourself. If you want a ranger led tour, check out times on the National Park website. But it's easy and interesting to do on your own.

ventura, ca
6. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Ok I Appreciate your expertise I'll look into driving it in our own. we are adventurous so should be fun! Thank you! How much tine should we allow ?

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 92
7. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

It's always worth spending a short time at the visitors centre before the Aningha trail - they have a viewing area out back where you can see some interesting stuff, it has plenty of great info about what animals and plants you may see, and it's got some great info on the everglades and it's ecosystem. The trail it's self can be done in an hour, but you can take your time depending on what suits you - it's not huge but it is great , you will enjoy it.

I think your best bet for boat options may be a trip from Pennekamp park - either to the reef / glass bottom boat or snorkeling. There are back country options available and self hire boats from pontunes.

I'm really struggling to come up with a resort / Hotel that matches all of your criteria! The Marriott is within walking distance of several nice Bars, restaurants, has spa, Hot tub, but I don't recall any bikes and the breakfast isn't usually in the price ... You can walk to Cactus Jacks, Sundowners, and Jimmy Johnsons though...

If you want the Keys feel the Hampton inn at Manatee Bay is a great consideration, you get free breakfast, no bikes again, I don't recall a hot tub but the pool is nice - there are some great restaurants but perhaps too far to walk...

The only other place I have stayed on the Bayside is the Hilton and I didn't really like it much at all so I'm not going to recommend it.

Here's one that I would try though - bit out of left field... Have a look at the Ocean view Inn and pub Islamorada - we had a real blast here - very local - extremely friendly, helpful and well located - not however for everyone. Hope this gives you food for thought!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
8. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

What time of year are you looking at - summer? You won't want that hot tub.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
9. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Summer means you don't want the everglades either! Too buggy!

In terms of time..... You can "do" the visitor center and Anhinga Trail in about 4 hours. If you have more time (say 7 hours), then start by driving to the end of the road (Flamingo) and work your way back making sure you leave time for walking the AT....that takes about 1 hour.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 92
10. Re: Couple spending 5 nights in the Keys!

Yes the actual trail can be done in an hour...on foot ;-) perhaps getting ready takes a long time in so Fla ...

Get answers to your questions about Islamorada