We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

We will arrive at Cheeca Lodge on Friday for our first trip to the Keys. My son is 14 and the only 2 things he's excited to do are fish and snorkel. Looks like a party boat would be the best (most economical) option here. Any opinions on Bud n Mary's vs Robbie's? Looks like Robbie's does half day trips where the other does not. I just want him to hopefully have a good and fun experience!

Snorkeling...are there SNUBA companies in the area? Not sure which companies to look at for short snorkeling excursions. Are wetsuits provided if the water is too chilly? If anyone has any advice I would love it!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
1. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

You can rent suits from whoever is taking you out to snorkel. Coming this week? It's been a very chilly week for us and isn't supposed to warm up a lot - the water will be cold - for the Keys. Just trying to prepare you. But sunny, I think the forecast is for sunny!!

I have never fished the Islamorada party boats, sorry I can't help there.

Dallas
2. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Arriving Friday afternoon. Bummer that it's been chilly.

Edited: 9:50 pm, March 04, 2013
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 264
3. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Yes, you are right, the boat from Bud n'Mary's is a full day tour and the Captain Michael out of Robbie's is half day with three departures a day (morning, afternoon and night). Of course with the full day you might get further out. the half day goes to the reef patches and they know the most productive ones. So, the half day usually is in smoother waters if the sea is rough. Both are fun, but for us the half day is usually enough, a full day gets loooong. And usually you have more fish than you are able to eat anyway with just the half day. They filet your catch for you and you can devide them in as many plastic bags as you want and take them to a restaurant to have them prepared to your liking in case you have no kitchen in your unit.

Cheeca Lodge has a nice long fishing pier, so tell your son to take the carcasses along and possibly some bluerunners (you catch those often on the patches, they are not good for eating but they give a rather good run once hooked) for bait to fish from the pier. In the evening he might get sharks and barracudas with this kind of bait. Just buy him a good glove to release them after a photo. We usually remove the barb from the hooks, we loose more fish this way, but the ones we reel in are easier to release and they are not hurt so badly.

Most hotels have some equipment they let you use, I imagine so does the Cheeca Lodge as well. Fishing is so good in Islamorada, your son will be hooked as well!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
4. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

If you do catch something, head to the local restaurants and they will cook your catch for you.

I would do the half day as a first option - - if you like it you can go back.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 83
5. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Your son doesn't need a fishing licence as he's under 16 but be aware if an adult joins him to fish they would need one.

There are SNUBA operators in the Keys - Dive Duck Key, Tildens and Snuba Key west are listed;

http://www.snuba.com/?page_id=2974#us

You would have to drive to Duck Key or Marathon (25 mile/30 minute drive)

Dallas
6. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Arriving Saturday. Bummer that it's been chilly.

I think we will likely do the half day out of Robbie's. I am sure Cheeca does excursions too but figured price would be higher. We want to go into Marathon anyway (that's the turtle hospital , right?) so may look into SNUBA there. Sad that the water is gonna be cold but oh well. We will still have fun I'm sure!

Thanks for the great responses!

Dallas
7. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

Ok not a fishing question but, for me, far more important. Will I pass a grocery store and/or liquor store on the way to Cheeca? I need to get some wine! :)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
8. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

There is a great wine/liquor store almost across the street - more across from Kaiyo but right there. Also close by is Trading Post and they have a wonderful selection of wines and some groceries/deli. Nice little store.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 106
9. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

your choice to party boat fish from Robbies is a good one. you will love it and you can get tackle at Cheeca lodge . A quick trip to Bud and Marys to coincide with charter boats returning can be fun if your son is into fishing. world wide angler shop is worth a quick trip too Islamorada fish co zane gray lounge nice aquarium and replica of hemmingways boat and fab tackle

Watch Hill, Rhode...
reviews: 15
10. Re: Arrving soon....fishing and snorkeling questions for a teen!

You can snorkel and fish right from Cheeca. They have all kinds of water activities available right from their beach and pier. No need to go down to B&M or Robbies.

Get answers to your questions about Islamorada