We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster question

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
reviews: 4
Lobster question

I will be in Islamorada this coming Friday to Monday. I'm very interested in trying to catch some lobster. Are there any locations off the shore or a pier that I can jump in my with snorkel, mask, & fins to catch them?

I read there's some bridges that they like to hang around under.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, are there mosquitoes at this time of the year?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
1. Re: Lobster question

You can find them in the rocks, but not rocks adjacent to private property. (as it's trespassing) You can jump in, but don't forget your license with a crawfish stamp and a dive flag. Very strict requirements as well when it comes to size and amount. We usually go out on the bay side and look for holes. BTW - chilly for swimming here right now. brrrrrrr.

Bridges = Bull Sharks, I never swim near the bridges for this reason so can't help you out there.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
2. Re: Lobster question

stop by a dive shop when you get here and ask around. In addition to the items Blue mentioned, you'll need a net, tickle stick, gloves and a catch bag. A big catch bag, I hope! If you are successful, most local restaurants will cook your catch for you.

Southern California
reviews: 4
3. Re: Lobster question

Ok, I better stay away from bridges then...bull sharks don't sound too inviting!

Yes, aware of the license requirements, thanks. Is there any particular mile marker or pier or whatnot that can be recommended? When you say bay-side, can you be more specific?

What's the water temp there now? I have a wetsuit, so I think i'll be fine, but curious as to what the temperature is.

Are there mosquitoes there at this time?

Thanks for the replies!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
4. Re: Lobster question

Google for current water temps. Several websites. I haven't been looking because I have no desire to swim right now.

Bayside/out back - The Florida Bay - stretches down the North side of the Keys. No where specific - just bayside - look for holes with lobster in them and jump in.

5. Re: Lobster question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada