We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
State College
Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

Hello!

My fiance and I are from PA and have our hearts set on a DW in the FL Keys. So far we have found several places that we love, but since we are working within a budget (hoping to land around $10,000.00) and don't want to empty the pockets of our guests (mostly from PA as well) we have narrowed it down to the Postcard Inn Beach Resort & Marina and the Islander Resort.

We are looking for an intimate ceremony followed by a fun and exciting reception with options for an after party either at a bar within the resort or something nearby. We picture the ceremony on the beach before sunset followed by an outdoor reception with outdoor lighting, a DJ, dancing, open bar and great food! We are thinking October 2013. We want to do it at a time when there will be as few resort guests (and children!) as possible. It is also important that there are things for our guests to do in and outside the resort, as some of them will be using this as their vacation for the year. My fiance has stressed the grave importance of being able to rent a charter and fish with our bridal party the day before the wedding...typical ; )

My questions to anyone who has any experience, good or bad, are:

When would be the best time to have a wedding in Islamorada? Is October a safe choice in terms of weather and # of other guests?

Are one of these resorts better than the other in terms of what we are looking for?

Would you happen to know if either resort offers complimentary airport shuttle service?

Does anyone have any experience with planning or attending a wedding at either of these places? Was the staff accommodating?

Are there other options we haven't considered?

I have never been to the Keys and since I'm an event coordinator, I have no problem tackling the wedding planning on my own, but any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

21. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 28, 2013
Agr313
22. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

ok meg, I just got back from a couple days of venue shopping in the keys; since you are focused on the Islander vs Postcard Inn... I'll give you my opinions of both--since these were two that we did visit.

So, the Islander: very pretty property, seems to have the most "beach" of the majority of the resorts. I saw you mentioned sunset... please note that both of these hotels are on the oceanside (you will not have a sunset over the water behind you). Islander does, however have a sister hotel on the bayside (we did not look at it). ok, so it appears to be very quiet; did not seem like the party atmosphere of postcard inn. the areas to have the ceremony were typical beach/overlooking the water (very simple but pretty) and for reception you would either need a tent--which is easy, there are many companies that can set it all up for your down there--or, they did have a very cute pavered area, next to the pool (which they said they would close down for you) that we actually liked, because you would not need a dance floor, and your female guests won't be stumbling in heels on the sand, lol; now... if you are at all interested in an outdoor/indoor reception, they have a BEAUTIFUL "convention" area that was just built. my suggestion would be to have the ceremony on their beach, then move it up to the convention area, where you could still be outside, on pavered ground/with a really neat 2nd level lanai, overlooking the ocean; the inside, if you choose to even go inside at all is beautifully decorated with the most amazing light fixtures; very modern/yet still ocean-like. I dont know, it's too big for us, but i just loved it as an alternative to the typical beach reception; ok, sorry, sidetracked... our down sides: county ordinance, music/party stops at 10p or maybe it was 11p and their bar i think is only open til midnight... now , we like to party, and so do our guests, so i just think that we might be a bit too rowdy of a crowd for this venue; but it is very nice and the class of people staying there seemed to be a bit higher than that of the PCI (lol, not saying much of us...since we felt more comfortable at PCI)

ok PostCardInn: driving in, much more crowded; people and cars everywhere. the main building itself has been newly remodeled, so the lobby and a couple buildings of rooms are very cute/beach/chic; walking out to the beach area, there was a dj set up with loud dance music blaring--it was speedboat weekend for them; definitely a more party atmosphere than the islander; you mentioned fishing charters--you can rent them right on site, but at the islander, everything is also really close, so dont let that deter you (nothing is far in Islamorada) as far as the "venues" on site, there are 2 that we looked at, 1:celebration island--very cute tiki covered area on the water--problem: the bathrooms you would use are at the bar "rum-runners" which kind of scares me; they also have a large covered tiki area which is really nice, but again, way too big for us. "Bimini row" is on the south side of the property, near their boat slips, very cool feel, could kind of see the sunset, but would have a bridge and powerlines in the background; would also have the fire pits and could set up tables outdoors for the reception; as long as weather permits; again, not sure about the bathroom situation--would have to use the other bar (i think its called wreck bar) and i noticed that the live bands play right next to the area you would have your reception, but the girl assured me that you wont really hear them, due to the water....another alternative is their horizon room; it is on the 6th floor (which is unheard of for the keys) and has all glass windows overlooking the water, has a really cute deck, that you could also watch the sunset over the bay; and for a room--it is actually really cool, with rope covered support beams and carpeting that doesnt make you want to gag at the site--very beachy and not at all tacky, like most hotel convention rooms; it is kind of long and narrow though, but i think if would make a fine reception area; and if weather were crappy, i actually wouldnt mind it as a backup (which i was worried bc we too want an outdoor wedding)

of the two, we feel that PCI is more our style--the bar i think stays open until 2am and we can be as loud/rowdy as we want, and will fit in just fine;

let me know if you have anymore questions; i am actually going to post more on my forum "key west wedding". so, if you want, check it out, some locals have been helping me with their opinions for a while now too.

good luck planning; let me know what you decide; lol, who knows, we may see eachother down there!

Tamarac, Florida
23. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

My name is Haley, and I am planning my wedding in 2015, I live in so fl but half of my guest will be coming from Massachusetts, I am torn between the islander, snooks resort. And PCI I really do love the look and beach feel of the tiki bars, and open area at PCI I am going venue shopping within the next few weeks, reading all of these reviews has made it easier depiction, however we are on a budget 10 k but really want our destination dream wedding to come true.

Tavernier, Florida...
reviews: 7
24. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

Just a warning, they are working on improving / making it better but Post Card Inn on the weekend tends to get a little rowdy, the crowd there tends to be Miami/Hileah drunks. I have friends who have pool/beach memberships there and won't go on the weekends for this reason.

~B~

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
25. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

What Ben said!

Wellington...
26. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

The Islander is perfect a gem, my favorite place. I saw a wedding reception at the Lorelei across the street on the gulf side on the sandy beach area and the sunset it was quite beautiful. Congrats hope your wedding is special.

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 1
27. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

What place did you end up deciding on? I'm trying to plan something too.

28. Re: Destination Wedding - FL Keys Islander vs Postcard Inn...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada