We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West in Feb

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
poconos, pa
Key West in Feb

HI, My 2 kids (15 and 17) and I want to fly from PA to Sanford, FL and then 3 days later to Key West, I am having a hard time with air from Sanford to Key West, expensive if available at all. Is there a better way? I am not too savvy on finding cheap flights, also, we are booked at Key West Hilton for 3 nights and would light to stay maybe 2 more nights, what would be reasonable? or is that too much time in Key West? E mail if you like, Thanks

New York
reviews: 62
1. Re: Key West in Feb

Les:

We spend a week in KW every year so to my way of thinking five days is not even enough.

As far as getting from Sanford to KW is concerned, you can always drive. If you are renting a car for your stay in Sanford, you might check how much more it would cost to cover your time in KW, particularly if you already have unlimited mileage. The down side of this is the length of the drive: about 9 hours, maybe more. It's not a bad drive first on the Florida Trpk and then on US1. US1, the Overseas Highway, is one of the country's great roads and always a highlight for me when my wife lets me drive it. One other option is to fly part of the way and then drive the rest. Southwest Airlines has frequent service between MCO and Ft. Lauderdale, probably at a fraction of the cost of a flight to KW. From there it is an easy hop on I595 to the Turnpike, then onto US1 to KW.

Hope this is helpful.

reviews: 21
2. Re: Key West in Feb

If you opt out of the drive, the n try looking for a flight from Tampa/St. Pete, which is about an hour away from Sanford. I believe Continental and Cape Air have regular flights from there to EYW.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 27
3. Re: Key West in Feb

Hi,

On getting down to Key West, I totally agree with Davy, drive all or part if possible. It is a beautiful drive. My question to you is do you really know what Key West is like, and do you want your teenagers exposed to that for 3 or 5 days? Two years ago we stayed in Key West with our kids for 4 days; we won't do it again. This past summer we stayed outside of Key West, and just went down to KW for a day trip. There's too much bad behavior going on in the streets, and restaurants at night, and on the beaches during the day. My high school sophomore just doesn't need drunks, nudity, and openly gay relationships in her face. The Keys are a great place for a family vacation, including a little bit of Key West. There's a lot written in the Florida Keys Forums on this topic. You may have to search back through several pages to find some of the best topics. I'm written several posts on this topic, one of the most recent is under "Family Vacation in Key West".

Best Wishes!

New York
4. Re: Key West in Feb

Oh, UNCMickey, you make it seem so much worse than it is! There are quite a few parents raising families in KW. There are both catholic and public elementary schools on the island and a rather large high school (sports teams: The Key West Fighting Conches). There are several thriving churches, even on Duval Street, and an orthodox jewish community, too. Sure there is a lot of drinking, and yeah there are gay people and I did see someone nude in public exactly once in the eight times I've been to KW. (It was a young woman who obviously wanted to win this bar on Roosevelt Avenue's wet t-shirt contest. We were stopped at a light and noticed in disbelief that the performance was going on in full view of four-lane highway. The real amusing thing were the 12 guys on Harleys in the lane behind us. They looked like they practiced synchronized jaw-dropping). Do I think that parents should be looking out for their teenagers in KW? Absolutely. You are right to refer Les and other parents to some of the other threads so that they can be well informed. It's just that that they should read all of the posts, not just yours.

Florida
reviews: 1
5. Re: Key West in Feb

From Sanford, I would either drive to the St. Pete/Clearwater Airport to fly to KW, or another option would be to drive to Ft. Myers. The Ft. Myers Marina has daily ferry service to KW, which is about a 3 1/2 hour boat ride. You can do a different day return on that, and it's about $100 for a round ticket. You just park your car at the marina, so you would not have a vehicle in KW unless you rented of course. The drive to Ft. Myers from Tampa is about 2 hours so including your drive over from Sanford you'd have about 3 1/2 drive hours and 3 1/2 boat hours. It's one way to break up a long drive all the way down to Miami and then onto the keys. If you are set on flying, the Clearwater Airport would offer you the best price, and it's only about an hour flight. Hope this helps!

poconos, pa
6. Re: Key West in Feb

Thanks for your posts all. I really hate driving in places I don't know, but I am entertaining the idea of driving the keys. I want to avoid Miami,, I was there once at the airport and rented a car,,, ugh, never again. So where would be the best place to fly to, rent a car and drive the keys. I will be staying at KW 3 nights, I have a free room at Hilton !!! I have only spent an afternoon at KW, on a cruise once, I really liked it, but didn't have my kids with me then, I am wondering what I can do with them at night if the streets are not cool for them???

New York
7. Re: Key West in Feb

Fort Lauderdale, without question. We've used it many times to access southern Florida, without the hassle of Miami. The airport sits on Interstate 595. You take this west a short distance to Florida's Turnpike. Take this down to Florida City/Homestead where you pick up US1, which goes south to KW. Real easy.

reviews: 13
8. Re: Key West in Feb

My husband and I spend the month of Feb. every year in Key West. We only hit the Duvall street bars when company comes down and expects it. There are lots of things to do in Key West and the best way to get around is to rent a bike or go by taxi. Parking is really bad down there.Many of the hotels have bikes or can get them for you and you can get anywhere on the island for under 12 dollars in a taxi.The sea water in Feb is too cold for me but all the hotel pools are heated. The the days are hot and the nights are warm.What more do you need? My advice is to keep the kids busy all day, take the trolley tour around the island, visit Mallory Square at dusk to see all of the strange acts and retire early. A word of warning-- The Hilton is located within walking distance and Duval Street and most of the bars are open air and have entertainment during the day to draw in the tourists. A lot of the music is not for kids.(lots of f's and dirty ditty's in the daytime) Also, don't pay extra at the Hilton for an ocean view. Half of the time, the cruise ships block it.

lapeer mich
9. Re: Key West in Feb

My wife and I will be spending a week in feb.We have been there on 2 other occasions, both times camping. This time we have reserved a tree top unit at poinciana place (lazy lane cottages). Any feed back on wether we made a good choice on our location? Also if you don't do the bar scene at night what else is there? I did see an old schoolhouse play. Are they good? Are there any piano bars? Something kind of quiet, a bottle of wine and not to much craziness?

boston, MA
reviews: 18
10. Re: Key West in Feb

Protect the kids from what? Just watch TV any night of the week. People are still uptight about actually seeing an openly Gay person in public....you've got to be kidding. Do you venture near any big city in the World? KW is wonderful..will the kids see some things that they don't see everyday...yes..thats why you go on vacation to experience new things. We saw kids everywhere, and my three (14 and under) had a great time. They found the people and sights as entertaining, and non threatening, and friendly as did we. Great music, good food, teenage giggles. But then again we're from Boston where our baseball players wear their hair long, in corn rows, don't shave everyday and one of our pitchers Bronson Arroyo grew up in KW and miraculously turned out ok. I've heard that on occassion he even talks to gay people.Go , have fun. Live life.