We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in the Keys

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
4 Days in the Keys

Hey guys!

Me and my fiance are going to get 4 days down in the Key toward the end of September. Neither of us have been there before and would love some input on for our itinerary. We're more nature and adventure minded, not so much party. Some things we know we want to do is explore beautiful beaches, go snorkling, and possibly fish, but we're also up for suggestions.

Any must see's or must do's? I would say we have a small to moderate budget. We are willing to spend a little more if it's really special.

Thanks!!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
1. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

Are you looking to stay just in the Keys or Key West too?

reviews: 1
2. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

I was thinking just the Key's. Might make a quick stop in Key West just the check it out, but it's not going to be a focal point.

Edited: 1:28 pm, August 16, 2013
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
3. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

Take a look through the Florida Keys forum, you will find info about the other areas and not just Key West.

Lots of nature to be found. If you like kayaking - it's a relatively inexpensive activity. Robbie's in Islamorada is a good place to go out from (very recent thread with specifics) also in Marathon, they can deliver kayaks to Sombrero Beach and you can check out all around Boot Key. There is also good kayaking in Big Pine but I'm not as familiar to those areas.

Explore Crane Point Hammock, Pigeon Key, Long Key and the trails of Bahia Honda.

For snorkeling I would go out to the reef wherever it is you choose to stay - being Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon/Key Colony Beach, Big Pine etc.

Two of the better Keys Beaches - Bahia Honda and Sombrero Beach. Also nice small beaches at Curry Hammock and Long Key State Park.

Fishing isn't an inexpensive thing, best bet is to go out with one of the party boats such as Marathon Lady.

Robbie's in Islamorada has the best thing going under $5 - see and feed the tarpon.

Tavernier, Florida...
reviews: 4
4. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

If you like less partying I can make a few suggestions:

Upper Keys:

Snorkeling-any number of places/charters can do this, there is on that goes out of Whale Harbor that is reasonable $19 I think, my wife likes to take the Catamaran out of the dock where the Glass Bottom Boat is in Key Largo, can't remember the name of it (reef roamer maybe?)

The wild bird center at MM92 is free and a self guided tour

I second Robbies to see/feed tarpon, also World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada has Tarpon as well as nurse sharks they feed, also a great place to watch the sunset.

Marathon-Middle Keys

Dolphin Research Center

Other places/attractions as bluewater mentioned

On the way down to KW you can swing by and see the Bat Tower on Sugarloaf

Key West:

Aquarium is fun we take the kids when we go down

East Maratello Museum

Conch Tour Train has alot of info about the island, etc. We also enjoy walking around the cemetary, very cool place. There is alot more to KW than just Duval St.

~B~

Knoxville
reviews: 7
5. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

You might want to check out Lime Tree Bay. It would be a great choice for accommodations, in that it is inexpensive (compared to most hotels in the keys) and has a lot of great amenities for you to use. They have good snorkeling just off the back of the hotel, kayaks to use, and a nice pool/hot tub area. I LOVE the fact that there is very little around . . . You can enjoy nature and not be crowded with people and buildings. Also, you are in the middle of the keys, so taking day trips in any direction is pretty easy. Continental breakfast is included in your price, so that should help since you're on a budget. The ONLY thing I would warn you about is their SMALL bathrooms. It doesn't bother us, but if you need a nice, big, luxurious bathroom . . . Lime Tree Bay wouldn't fit the bill! The keys are GREAT . . . Enjoy!!!:)

JENSEN BEACH
6. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

You could also ck out Key Lime Cottages in Key Largo. Very casual little cottages with a sandy beach area on the Bayside. they have use of 22' sailboats for free that you can take out on the bay, kayaks, fishing poles etc. also a tiki hut with bbq to use right there on the water. A few nights a wk the Owner offers a comp sunset cruise on his catamaran. Easy to walk to a few good restaurants. Close to the marina in Key Largo where you can find numerous fishing boats of all prices and sizes as well as snorkeling boats that go out to the reefs of John Pennekamp Park for great snorkeling! For party boat fishing we like Capt Chan's Gulfstream. Nothing fancy but you are pretty much gauranteed to come home with lots of yummy yellowtail. (Be sure to have a cooler along and some zip locs!). If you stay in the Upper Keys (Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada) take a day to explore down to Marathon and ck out some of Bluewater's spots. Enjoy

7. Re: 4 Days in the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 20, 2014