We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
reviews: 57
Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

I am trying to arrange a five day trip to Key West in the beginning of October. We have family to see in NOLA first- so we are flying out from there

My question is I am thinking of flying to Key West on Friday and flying out on Wed. But then I thought it would be less crowded/ busy if I arrive on Sunday and depart on Friday

Also I wasn't sure what days the cruise ships come in and how much that matters in terms of crowds.

I just have these memories of being in Venice and how the cruise crowds really just swarmed it. We could not wait until evening to really enjoy Venice.

We plan on doing the wind and wine sail with Dangers. My husband may charter a fishing trip and we probably will do one of the smaller charters to snorkel ( but not kayak). Otherwise it is meandering and exploring the sights and feel of Key West ( first trip).

Thank you in advance for any replies/ suggestions.

10 replies to this topic
Key West
reviews: 63
1. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Unless you are looking at the week of fantasy fest, crowds will not be an issue in October. If you google "key west cruise ship schedule" you can see planned visits. Unless there are more then one ship in town at a time, the impact is not too bad.

Thankfully nothing at all like Venice!

Shreveport...
2. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Thanks SDT. I will google that schedule.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 35
3. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

There's a 10% off coupon for any Danger trip here ---> keywestchamber.org/coupons/keywestdiscountco…

20% off any two. The coupon there expires on 8/31 but I've noticed they keep moving the expiry date back.

Pjk

Edited: 10:14 am, August 16, 2013
Shreveport...
4. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Thanks for that link Pjk

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
5. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

http://www.keywestcity.com/eGov/apps/document/center.egov?view=item;id=9490

it's a light schedule in October.

Los Angeles
reviews: 43
6. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

weekends are almost always busier, unless there's a special holiday during the week. There's a good difference in traffic (both foot and car) all over the island and especially Duval, which gets clogged up so much in the evening it would be faster to walk.

So I'm guessing you would prefer Sunday- Friday. Some bars might have an event going on but there's always another bar close by that's not as crowded.

The cruise shippers can clog up lines if there are some touristy things that you want to do, like taking the conch train or Trolley from the area around Mallory Square. But it is usually not too bad if you do a bit of planning.

I'd suggest you do something like the Floridays snorkel trip, as it leaves from the Hyatt, where you can hang out and have a drink at their outdoor bar before or after the trip. It is not like the bigger snorkel boats and very relaxing.

Shreveport...
7. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Orion thanks so much for your reply. It is very helpful. I also appreciate KeyLimey your link. I thank everyone who took the time to answer my question

Lorain, OH
reviews: 23
8. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

My most favorite time of day in Key West is the early morning. The revelers from the past evening are still sleeping it off, and if there does happen to be a cruise ship in port that day, they usually don't arrive until 8:00 am or after. Of course very little is open, but I grab a cup of coffee or other breakfast beverage and just walk up and down the side streets taking in the sights. It's a beautiful thing with no people..... But SDT is correct, unless you are there around the time of Fantasy Fest, there really won't be the throngs of people one might expect. Since this is your first trip, I hope you find Key West as mesmerizing as the rest of us. It really DOES get in your blood.

Shreveport...
9. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

I am a morning person too Randi so your morning walk sounds like a pleasant way to start a day.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 35
10. Re: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West

Almost no matter here you stay you will be within walking distance of Higgs beach, the White Street pier and the West Martello Tower and garden club, all together ---> http://www.keywestgardenclub.com/

Pjk

Reply to: Best days of the week to enjoy Key West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted