We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any experience with Silver Airways?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
reviews: 1
Any experience with Silver Airways?

Just booked our fifth trip to KW for next April, and for the first time we're flying in rather than driving.

I noticed that the final leg (TPA-EYW) is on Silver Airways. I've never heard of them.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, they'd care to share?

29 replies to this topic
Key West
reviews: 66
1. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

They took over Gulfstream international. They are the short haul Florida carrier for United. I have flown them several times and not had any problems.

Hudson, Ohio
reviews: 27
2. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

Saw them land at EYW yesterday they are prop planes.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
3. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

You actually get a soft drink on the flight now, like in the old days. The planes are newer with two seats on one side of the aisle and one on the other side, and so far in my experience they have been better in meeting their schedules.

Pjk

Edited: 8:23 pm, August 15, 2013
Calgary
reviews: 1
4. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

Thanks guys. Did some Googling and it looks like they're flying the SAAB 340B's. Nice to hear they run on time, too.

John

Flanders, NJ
reviews: 21
5. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

Yup. Flew them the last leg from NJ in July. They are a partner with United. No issues, all went smooth and as PJK said you can have a drink now. Not like the older, smaller props Continental used to fly.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
reviews: 53
6. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

They are a partner of United, but you can no longer access your boarding pass on that flight through United's site or at a United gate/kiosk. If you want to print your boarding pass in advance, you need to have the Silver Airways confirmation number (not the United confirmation number) and go to the Silver Airways website. This is a recent change.

FYI. Silver Airways is no longer an award partner, so you cannot use your United miles on that leg of a flight. I am really hoping that changes.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
7. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

FWIW I have a United credit card which allows me one checked bag for free. When I checked in at EYW for my return flight, Silver didn't honor the deal. I contacted United who said that since they didn't collect the fee, they could not reimburse me. I then contacted the cc company, Chase, who did agree to credit my account for the $25.00. I'm not sure now that the $95.00 yearly fee for the card is worth it.

Pjk.

NJ
reviews: 23
8. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

So, jtwiz, when I check in online with United, that does not check us in as well for that Silver Airways flight? I don't have a confirmation number for Silver that I know of. Where would I find that? I know it said that we could not choose seats for the Silver flight, and that we had to see a gate agent at the airport to receive seat assignments. Sigh, I hope this isn't terribly complicated. I assumed when I booked thru United, it was all taken care of.

Denver
reviews: 43
9. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

I just flew to Key West via United/Silver Airways. I would walk to Key West from Miami before flying with them again. Our flight was booked first class which should include free baggage, but on the return trip the ticket agent (more on her in a minute) insisted it was our problem. We never received any notification that there would be a baggage charge on the return flight.

The outbound flight wasn't so bad but from Orlando to Key West was not a direct flight--it had a stop in Ft. Myers. This was complete news to us and we were only made aware of it once we went to the gate in Orlando.

The return flight however was another story. The ticket agent was incredibly rude and for no reason. She was so rude the employees working at the Southwest counter were looking over at her. I got her name and will be contacting both United and the higherups at Silver. We got through security and to the gate and the gate agent was even worse. She was incredibly aggressive and verbally abusive. These flights will apparently leave early if everyone is on the plane and that appears to be their biggest priority (going both ways). Apparently since we were there on time (not early and not late) she had a problem with it. She was literally alternatively talking to me like I was a child and screaming at me (with a room full of people I might add). It was the weirdest experience of my life. At one point I thought she was going to strike me but my husband stepped between us. I got her name as well.

I don't usually contact people's employers but in this case I am not going to hesitate. In my opinion, while the first woman was simply rude and acted like she hated her job and was doing me a favor, the second woman has some mental health issues it seems.

A side note, if the flight is more than 45 minutes they might provide drinks (which are limited). The bathroom is so tiny if you are over 5'7" you won't likely be able to get in there. On our return flight the flight attendant was actually using the room for trash.

Avoid them if you can.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 73
10. Re: Any experience with Silver Airways?

We flew them from our Ft LL leg, and were supposed to fly them back on our return trip, but the plane had bunch of severe mechanical issues. Our flights was delayed for many hours, and at one point we had boarded and had to get off the plane because the issue was STILL not fixed. After that I refused to get on their plane, and they were able to get us a flight for the following day on Delta. Good customer service (we were given drink and food vouchers, a 10% off voucher for United, and free accommodations for the night), but we will not fly with them again. I don't trust their planes. We will be using Delta from now on.

Reply to: Any experience with Silver Airways?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted