We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 5
Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

I am a teacher and have a late spring break this year. It is in mid-April (ending with Friday being Good Friday). Do spring breakers (college kids) take over Key West at this time? My husband and I have not been to Key West before. Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
1. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

There are several threads about this - do a search and see what you think. That's late for college kids spring break - you can Google - "College Spring break dates" and see a list and how many are out when. April is very busy, but most are not college age kids.

Wisconsin
2. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

In regards to your comment about April being very busy: In your opinion is that a negative?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
3. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

Depends on what you like. For me, yes - but others love it when the place is bustling. But, really what I meant by that is there will be lots of people around - just not necessarily college age kids.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 91
4. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

That depends on your perspective, I remember Key West before cruise ships and jet service. There will be crowds and you may need to wait at some places, but I don't view Key West as a college Spring Break destination.

Wisconsin
5. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

I am just trying to get a feel for the place. We used to love doing island vacations before all the all-inclusives came in. Now all the good local restaurants are gone, and you have a lot of people that mainly come to party.

We love atmosphere. To give you an idea of what we like - we love New Orleans. However, we tend to avoid Bourbon Street. So we don't necessarily want pure quietness. We just don't want to be surrounded by partiers and crowds all the time.

Glasgow UK
reviews: 66
6. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

We have been to Key West the last four Easters and all the spring breakers have been teachers!!!!!

Wisconsin
7. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

What keeps bringing you back? I am always interested in talking to repeat visitors. They often can give great insight into a place. What do you like - activities, restaurants, lodging . . .? Any recommendations? Thanks!

key west
reviews: 14
8. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

That is late for college spring break. You will find the island full of families as most younger children are out of school. March is our busy time for college students but again they don't take over the town. Usually beautiful weather in April hence the infux.

Wisconsin
9. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

I see that you are a local. Any comments on the "best" Key West has to offer?

Also,any recommendations on restaurants, lodging (we like a room with a balcony or patio), etc.?

Thanks!

Berkshire, England
reviews: 58
10. Re: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?

We are repeat travellers to Key West .We will be visiting for the 10th time next year. We live in the UK and stay in the Keys for two weeks every year, spending at least 10 days in Key West. It's hard to say what keeps bringing us back (apart from the lovely weather) but we just love the place. There is so much to see and do if you want it, great restaurants and bars, you can walk for miles and see lots of interesting sights, watersports etc or you can laze by the pool or on the beach. We find it a very relaxing, laid back holiday and have definitely got "Keys Disease".

We always stay at the Southernmost Hotel, which is at the "quiet" end of Duval Street.

Reply to: Are "spring-breakers" a negative in mid-April/Easter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted