We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 12
So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Since I've never been to KW before and I hear some talk about how they can't get enough of KW, etc. So tell me, what is it that you love?

Last year we went to New Orleans for the first time and I kept hearing talking about how NOLA gets under your skin and how much people love it there. We went and we were like..."it's okay"...but then about 2 weeks after coming home, it sunk in and both my husband and myself were hooked. There is something about NOLA that really does get under you skin, and makes you long to come back.

So what is it about Key West?

49 replies to this topic
Rochester, NY
reviews: 9
41. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Haven't seen it myself yet...but I will keep trying!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 10
42. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

We got to see it last April. Very cool, but if you blink you miss it!

Chester County, PA
reviews: 7
43. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

tripadvisor.com/…36421531

Indianapolis...
reviews: 19
44. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

We go mainly for the nostalgia. As a child growing up in South Florida, my parents would take us there for long weekends. In the 60's Key West was a navy town with a shrimp fleet. On Sunday's they would have "open houses" where you could go and tour the submarines. There were no resorts. Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson were as fancy as it got. The Half Shell Raw Bar was a dive where the shimpers hung out. And Duval Street was a row of roudy bars where you could get your teeth knocked out if you looked at a biker the wrong way.

But it was also this wonderful place at the end of the highway were you could ride a trolley and they would tell you about the gingerbread trim on the houses, and you could tour Ernest Hemingway's house with six-towed cats, and there was a lighthouse you could climb up in and see the whole island, and an old aquarium that didn't have many fish, but you could hold a starfish and a horseshoe crab would climb up your arm, and there was a place where you could have sandals made right on your feet. And, the food! Conch fritters with horseradish cocktail sauce, fresh shucked oysters, grilled dorado (we called it dolphin back then) and yellowtail snapper, and key lime pie so tart it would make your tongue roll up.

Tourists started discovering Key West in the 80's and real hotels like the Pier House and The Reach began springing up. T-shirt shops, art galleries and boutiques started replacing the tatoo parlors. The submarines left and fire eaters, sword swallorers and dancing cats took their places on the wharf. And somewhere along the way the Half Shell Raw Bar started serving sushi.

But none of that matters. We still go whenever we can. It's a lot less frequently now that we live in a place where it snows. But, every time we cross the little bridge onto Key West we feel like we are home. We still roam Duval Street until all hours of the night, stuff ourselves at the Half Shell Raw Bar, go elbow to elbow with the other thousands of fools down at Mallory Square jockying for position to see the guy who ties himself up with chains and then cheer the sunset like we've never seen one before.

I'm not really sure WHY we keep coming back. We just do. And I quess we we'll just doing it until we are to old to get drunk at Sloppy Joe's and and stagger back to our hotel. Then, there will be no point.

Bradenton, Florida
reviews: 3
45. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

johnm1027.

I had a personal vision of what I was expecting from KW and it wasn't what I hoped for. I had a personal vision of what I was expecting from The Scilly Isles and it was what I hoped for (I'm in no way comparing the two places by the way).

Yes, tack is everywhere but to me, that Caribbean feel in our own back yard that KW should be, just isn't there.

Austin, TX
reviews: 8
46. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

My husband and I have been to Key West 8 or 9 times so far. The first time was because my parents had moved there. We visited during Fantasy Festival, and that was a bit too much for me. We went back to visit again during a less busy time and kind of fell in love with the place. We borrowed bikes from a friend of my folks and rode all over the island. We got off of Duval and explored the lanes and neighborhoods. We ate at amazing places, some fancy and some not at all. We met friends of my parents: rich and poor, gay and straight, businessmen and drag queens. I love the laid back attitude, the "One Human Family" mindset, and the slower pace. They have been there well over a decade now and I hope to semi retire there myself one day.

Ponte Vedra Beach...
reviews: 5
47. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

gotta give Mr Mike C from Indianapolis a shout out for his super post!.. loved reading the interesting history of KW which you wont hear from the KW Trolley guides .... thanks Mr Mike C!

OLATHE KANSAS
reviews: 8
48. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

MY wife and i have came down to s. beach and key west 5 times now. I never thought she would like it because of religios values and the beaches. We have 3 kids and we get a week away together. It was my idea to do this. She loves it just as much as I do. Both places are very special to us in reguards to our marrige. For K.W. reasons include but are not limited to the food. We both love sea food and it is fresh and cooked correctly in a laid back atmosphere. The beaches are still beaches even though not the best. to me its not super expensive. We love all the happy hours to choose from. The crime rate is pretty low there and it is pretty safe to be out late unlike south beach. You never know what your going to see walking up and down duval. Crazy!!!! oh well. Mainly for me and why i like it, my wife. I like watching her kind of step out of herself. To not have to be a motherly role model. She will drink some, and we stay at marreros or the pilot house and we just take a vacation from our lives and just forget about everything. I want to eventually take her to st martin but i dont think its real safe to travel out of the country right now. but this has always been a good time for us.

Pottsville...
reviews: 22
49. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Wow, it-looks like all the reasons we go were already mention I am glad that we aren't the only ones who really love this island.

Reply to: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted