We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 12
So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Since I've never been to KW before and I hear some talk about how they can't get enough of KW, etc. So tell me, what is it that you love?

Last year we went to New Orleans for the first time and I kept hearing talking about how NOLA gets under your skin and how much people love it there. We went and we were like..."it's okay"...but then about 2 weeks after coming home, it sunk in and both my husband and myself were hooked. There is something about NOLA that really does get under you skin, and makes you long to come back.

So what is it about Key West?

SW, Ohio
reviews: 71
1. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

I hope you get some replies to this question because I was wondering the same thing! Hubby and I are NOLA addicts but are trying KW for my upcoming 40th in order to change things up!

Connecticut
reviews: 93
2. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

I have been to NOLA but Key West is better.... :) Go you'll love it!

It is something about the vibe.. its laid back feel...You can do nothing at all or everything... There is nothing like being out on the beautiful water or walking the waterfront and enjoying open aired Happy Hours with great food and music. Did I meniton music? There is great live music at every turn...

The sunsets are amazing... Its fun to look at all the boats coming and going... so many boats..

You can do Key West in all kinds of ways..we choose to pretty much ditch touristy Duval and relax on the water during the day either on a snorkeling tour or at our hotel beach during the day and spend evenings walking the waterfront.. eating seafood etc....

You just have to go to understand...

Edited: 6:22 am, August 13, 2013
Philly
reviews: 1
3. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

If you're objective, there is little in KW that you can't find anywhere else. There are destinations that have good food, or good bars, or water activities, or culture and history, or a laid-back atmosphere, or speak English, or have an odd-vibe that makes the place more interesting than most.

The one thing the wife and I have found in KW is the combination - It's the ability to walk around a pleasant area with great weather, choose to sail calm waters from a close-by walkable dock, or choose any number of laid back bars for music and a drink (or 5), and then, without getting dressed up, head to an unbelievable number of incredibly good but unpretentious restaurants. Dinner is followed by walking in the warm weather, taking drinks on the street, or relaxing and listening to more music, all while speaking English on American soil. It's all of that rolled into one spot that has us hooked.

Steve in Philly

SW Indiana
reviews: 10
4. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

We keep going back because everything is 5 dolla. That and the music, the food, the sunsets, the Sunset celebration, the laid back vibe ( I kinda hate that word but it fits), the weird and wonderful people and things that you see, and the openness and acceptance of all. Mostly we go for the people. I've never been to a place where nobody gives a rats a$$ who you are or what you do. We go for our friends we have made there. We go because, after 8 or 9 visits ( we are slackers by the standards of some on this) it just seems like home.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 13
5. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Before my husband and I went to key west for the first time we were true NOLA fans and wanted to go no we're else...that is until our first trip to key west. Don't get me wrong we still love Nola However I would take a keys trip over Nola any day. I think the water makes all the difference. Not as fun to go out on the Mississippi as the ocean. And ocean so close, gives it that wonderful ocean vibe.

I find we are more relaxed when we go key west...

Key West, Florida
reviews: 23
6. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

I love the smell, I love the colors, I love the history, I love the architecture, I love the food, I love the people. I can be as visible or as transparent as I want to be. I can be as active or as relaxed as I want to be. I can lie under palm trees as the breeze stirs their fronds and remember times gone by. I can lose myself in the local galleries for hours on end. I can strike up a conversation with a stranger as though we've been friends for years. I can spoil myself with the luxuries of a resort, or I can live like a local at one of the B&B's. I've made some good friends in my forays to Key West, and going to see them is like going home. I don't know; it just gets in your blood.

Maryland
reviews: 12
7. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

Thanks guys, these are just the kind of answers I was hoping for!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
8. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

My kinda question...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Reading...
9. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

It's the vibe... It's unpretenscious ,

The history , the food , the bars and night life, the live and let live attitude, the setting, the quaitness , the architect, the art galleries, the hookie shops, the water , the sunsets and sunrises, the street festivals, the sense of community, the locals, the tourist (cuz we all are tourist when we visit), All I can say is I feel whole when I'm in Key West and when I come home I feel like a better man and that's good enough for me!!

Corolla, North...
10. Re: So...what is it about Key West that keeps you coming back?

It's been 5 years and 8 trips later, I'm still trying to figure it out! It gets in your soul! As soon as I get off the plane and see the Conch family on the airport roof, I smile, I cry happy tears, my blood pressure drops and I feel like I'm home. It's the lushness of the tropical foliage, it's the culture, it's the music, it's the colors, it's the architecture, it's the water, it's the weather, it's the open air everything, it's the upscale bars, it's the dive bars, it's the wonderment of sitting next to a billionaire or a homeless person and everyone is equal. There's no place like it and I can't get there often enough, I've found my 'place'