We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Hi, all - we're interested in doing a snorkeling tour out to the reef from Key West. Can anyone recommend a good company to use for this? Do any of them provide lunch or drinks on the trip?

What about any recommendations for a sunset sail? And can we just book these when we get there or would you recommend booking ahead? We're thinking of going in September.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

22 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Connecticut
reviews: 93
1. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

We like to book when we are there because we can do what we feel when we feel like it.

If you want to go to the reef, check out Sebago, Island T'ing - They provide a light breakfast and lunch and you get to snorkel and kayack. Its a great day on the water.

As for sunset, there are many good options, it depends on what you like. For a lively option with live music, check out Fury's Commotion on the Ocean. The Echo does a nice Moet sunset cruise... and Danger does a nice Wind and Wine sail.

Have fun!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 37
2. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

The Sebago Island T'img is a great day out on the water. If you do it and like it consider their sunset sail ---> keywestsebago.com/tour/…

They use the same boat, the Pelican, with the same limit of 20 people, and you can get a return customer discount.

Pjk

Los Angeles
reviews: 44
3. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

just about every outfit has a reef trip, which gives you about 1 hour of snorkeling time and usually a few drinks on the way back. It's only about an hour sail out to the reef. Less if the boat is fast.

Most simple reef trips won't provide lunch, as they just short "3 hour tours" (run the theme from Gilligan's Island!).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
4. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Thank you so much, everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
5. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

We're trying to decide between Danger, Echo, and Floridays for our sunset sail. Looking for a limited number of people and good quality food and drink - which one do you think would be best for us? Looking more for romance than party.

And do any of them dock close enough to the Mallory Square area that we could walk to their dock from there? Thanks for your help!

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Connecticut
6. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

They are all easy to walk to from Mallory Square. Danger (docking close to Mallory Square) is closest then Floridays (docks at Hyatt) and then Echo (Near Turtle Kraals).....

I really did not like Floridays when I tried them so I would recommend Danger or Echo. The Danger will have more people than Echo. Danger is a big Schooner and Echo is a small catamaran. I believe they both do wine and cheese. You can't go wrong with either, it just depends really on what type of boat you would like to sail on. :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
7. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Since Danger is the closest, and they seem to get great reviews, I think we'll go with that option for the Sunset Tour. I like the idea of a big schooner. Thanks, Sunny. What was it that you didn't like about Floridays?

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Connecticut
8. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Volcanogirl, it was mainly the crew and service.. Here is my review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34345-d1542…

Honestly, in my opinion Danger is worlds above Floridays in every way. You will really enjoy them. They are a fun outfit and they do not take too any people. Go with Danger, you won't be sorry.

Edited: 4:16 pm, September 07, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
9. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

Okay, I'm going to go with Danger - always seem to hear good things about them. Now just have to decide on who to take out to the reef.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Connecticut
10. Re: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?

For the reef go with Sebago.. Just don't do Fury.. :) Boy.. I am full of opinions today.. ha ha...

Danger and Echo do not go to the Reef... They are both great trips but if you want the reef they won't fit the bill. Fury is a cattle call.. Sebago .. although larger.. does it right. :)

Have fun no matter what you choose.

Reply to: Recommendations for snorkeling tour and for sunset sail?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted