We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

personal kayaking in the keys

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Valrico, Florida
personal kayaking in the keys

Where are the best places to kayak with our own personal kayaks without guides in Key West area?

10 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 38
1. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

If you have your own kayaks you probably have transportation for them. When I went Stand-up paddleboarding, we left from the Cow Key Marina which is just off Key West and which has parking and a small dock. From there we took a few different channels and managed to SUP through areas of mangroves, then paddled along the Riviera Canal, one side of which are all water-side houses. It was a pretty good day out, not as good as kayaking at, say Man Key, but better than anyplace I can think of off the beach in Key West.

hhth

Pjk

Valrico, Florida
2. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

Thank you. We are considering taking them to Bahia Honda. We have a truck. Have you used yours there?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
3. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

No. I've never gone kayaking on my own. Always with a tour out of Key West.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
4. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

If you are wanting to go elsewhere in the Keys - a few places - Curry Hammock State Park is a good area.

Off of Sombrero Beach and around Boot Key. Several mangrove trails. One will take you to a hidden "Neighborhood" back there. It's weird at first but we've always felt safe.

Across from Curry Hammock - you will have to carry them a little ways, but it's beautiful! It's listed as part of Curry Hammock but it's outside of their gated area and on the bay side. Off the bike path and down a dirt trail, you will come to a lagoon type area. When you are out of the lagoon area go to the right. Around the big house is another lagoon area with a "lake".

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
5. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

Forgot to mention going out by Robbies in Islamorada. Put in off the road. Go out the bay side and you can paddle over to Lignum Vitea Key and right behind Robbies are some cool mangroves. When going through there pay attention and off to the side. Boats go full speed through there and there are a lot of turns. It's a channel for them. One of my favorite spots in the Keys.

Go out the ocean side and over to Indian Key.

www.floridastateparks.org/lignumvitaekey/

http://www.floridastateparks.org/indiankey/

Hertfordshire, UK...
reviews: 3
6. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

I agree with blue water. If you put in at Robbie's it's a short paddle to Indian Key as well, which is a neat place to explore. From memory though Robbie's is around mile marker 77, so it's really a long drive (albeit a nice drive) for a bit of paddling.

Bahia Honda is a great stop enroute North, but its pretty much just open water paddling, and nowhere much to paddle to, from what I've seen.

Edited: 6:43 pm, August 02, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 17
7. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

We've rented kayaks at Bahia Honda. It is more open water paddling until you get out to the little island out there. Our kids loved kayaking to the island and exploring around it when they were in their teens.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
8. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

bump for Cowabunga

Savannah area, GA
reviews: 54
9. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

We actually took our personal kayaks out to the Tortugas on the ferry. We camped overnight and circumnavigated the fort by water, but you could go farther afield - we had three kids, so stayed close. We also kayaked in a couple of other places mentioned in a book we bought, "The Florida Keys Paddling Guide." It's a great reference.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
10. Re: personal kayaking in the keys

This is something I've always wanted to do and bet it would be great to kayak around the fort. IIRC checking for kayaks is 1/2 hour earlier than non.

Pjs

Reply to: personal kayaking in the keys
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted