We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting...

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 8
Budgeting...

Trying to budget for a trip my husband and I are taking with another couple in mid-Oct (week before FF) and am hoping that someone here can help. We are staying in a condo in Truman Annex, and have already bought the Fury Ultimate Adventure package thru ebay/Mote. What do you think we should budget per person? We are cool with having a meal or two at the condo, but am curious what everyone thinks we should budget per day for meals and drinks out (1-2 meals out, and we will be enjoying libations very liberally).

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 84
1. Re: Budgeting...

You can drink $2 beers, or $15 martinis. You can eat slices of Pizza for $2, or drop $300 for dinner for two.

I am really not sure how to answer. Based on my preference for nicer drinks and meals, I would budget $200 - $300 per day for 2. However, I am sure you could also get by pretty well for $100 or less if needed.

Stock up some liquor in your condo. You can take a "to go" cup and walk on Duval. It is customary to buy a drink if you go into a bar. There are almost no cover charges, so you can enjoy live music for the price of a drink. Key West also has great happy hours with very affordable drinks and bar menus from 4:30 to 7. Put "happy hours" in the search box above and you will find many lists. The happy hours at The Bight (The old harbor) are very popular, but there are deals all over town. Finally, portions are very large. Split an entree and a couple appetizers. You can always order more if you are still hungry!

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Budgeting...

Thanks! I think we will be doing a nice meal or two, but mainly just going with the flow and relaxing! I was thinking that a budget of about $200 per couple per day would get thru the week comfortably... Sounds like I was about right!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 61
3. Re: Budgeting...

Keep in mind all of the happy hours which go to six or seven at night and which include half priced apps and drinks. My friend and I had what ended up being dinner at the Boathouse at the Bight - four shared apps and a beer apiece was just under $30.00.

You can do the same there and at an outside table for four at Alonzo's. Everyone pick an app and a drink and share. Repeat if necessary..

Pjk.

Edited: 4:35 pm, June 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 69
4. Re: Budgeting...

What SDT said. Great advice. KW is a great walking town, and the "tourist attractions" like Hemmingway House and the Truman Little White House aren't very expensive. There are several white-table-cloth eateries around town, but we've rarely dropped over $40 for two for a meal, and usually less. The tip about stocking up on booze and mixers in the condo is a good one. Will you have a car? If so, there are plenty of good groceries and liquor stores on the island. If you DON'T have a car, there are a couple of liquor stores near Duval Street (kinda hidden away on a side street) and a couple of groceries within a few blocks of Truan Annex. Hit Capt Tony's for a cup of their Pirate's Punch (best in the world). Something like $8 or $9 last time I checked, and you get a great large plastic cup to go with it.

Western...
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 3
5. Re: Budgeting...

Yes agree with what SDT posted. We budget $200 and it has worked out. But we do at least one meal for around $200.00.

PJ

NC
reviews: 23
6. Re: Budgeting...

We have budgeted $100 a day for the 2 of us for he last 20 yrs. $50.00 a piece, & it works for us perfectly.

When we arrive in town I go straight to Publix and get food for breakfast & lunch, drinks. (Carol Jean Shrimp) is a must. They boil it for me and put it in a bag on ice. Perfect with good Italian bread, cheese, fruit & beer for lunch by the pool. We go out to dinner to Alonzo's or Boat House, hitting Happy Hours. If I feel like it I cook dinner. I wrote a cookbook in Key West some yrs. ago by cooking food on a grill where we were staying and giving it away for their opinions. Then hubby would take me out to dinner.

KW is as inexpensive or expensive as you make it, we can do 10 days with our room for less than $3,200, excluding airfare.

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Budgeting...

Thank you so much for the advice!!! We won't have a car, but from what I have read, there is a grocery store right down the street from the Shipyard. I really appreciate the help. Looking forward to falling in love with Key West!!

8. Re: Budgeting...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 30, 2014