We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ohio
Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Me, my wife, 21 year old son, 17 year old son.

1st time in Key West, and have narrowed it down to these 2 spots.

Pier House seems to have better location. Is the Lanai Room worth the few extra bucks?Southernmost on the Beach seems to have more of resort feel.

Looking at the pictures of SMOTB, I noticed that there is never anyone swimming in the ocean.

Is there a reason?

Anyhow, looking for a recommendation.

Thanks

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
1. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

the ocean off of the beach at SMOTB is very shallow, especially at low tide. You can wade out hundreds of feet from the beach. But there are plenty of people hanging out in the water all day. Maybe you're just looking at the wrong pictures.

I'd say that Pier House has a little more of a resort feel, but the main difference will be that the Pier House is at one end of Duval, near lots of the tourist bars and the Bight, and the SMOTB is on the other end, near the beaches.

Reading...
2. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Honestly you can't go wrong with either. The Pier House grounds are beautiful. I like the Southernmost Beach Cafe for their happy hour and the views. Everytime I'm at the cafe people are always in the water.I think Pier House has a lil more laid back vibe.. I say flip a coin , cuz they both rock!!

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 1
3. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

I like the Southernmost on the Beach better because of the location and the beach.

SMOTB is at the quiet end of Duval and away from the late night partyers.

The beach is larger at SMOTB and it is safer. The water at the Pier House can have a strong current but at South Beach the water is very calm. Also you can get beach chres and drinke at South Beach.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 41
4. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Keep in mind that the beach at the Pier House is a private beach for the use of the guests and as such it is maintaiined by the staff there. You can drag a chair down to the water 24/7 and sit and relax. The beach at the Southernmost is a public beach and as such is maintained by the city which doesn't always do a good job of removing the accumulated sea-grass.

Pjk

Clio, Michigan
5. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

we recently stayed at SMOTB, our 1st time in Key West also. The room at SMOTB was beautiful, great shower, pools, grounds, etc. There is 1 pool at SMOTB and the other 2 pools are across the street at the SM hotel. We did go into the ocean at the SMOTB, but stayed in the pools mostly (just our preference). I chose SMOTB because it was on the quieter end of Duval, but because of the long walk down Duval with the heat and humidity paying a toll on us, I wish we would have stayed at the opposite end. The rooms, grounds and staff were great at SMOTH. The Southernmost Café has excellent breakfasts, all other sit down restaurants are a little bit of a walk. There was a small grocery store and take out restaurants right across the street.

Connecticut
reviews: 93
6. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

We stay at the Pier House... Love the beach there and the location. You can snorkel right from the beach..the water is clear and the beach is sandy. The beach bar and grill is great too.

Although you are close to the fun area of Duval.. it is very quiet on the resort grounds. You would never know you were steps away from the action. Once you go to the property you will feel like you are tucked away in a tropical paradise. It is also in a much better location to walk to boating excursions and to enjoy the boardwalk.. waterfront area...

Your boys will like the Pier House location better in my opinion..... They can easily go have a blast and be close to where you are staying. You'll have fun no matter what.. but I would choose Pier House.

My Review from May

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34345-d1248…

Louisville, Ohio
7. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

At the Pier House, do you think the upgrade to the Lanai Room is worth the extra $$?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
8. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Yes,especially if you get one of the ones on the right hand side (facing the ocean). The ones on the second floor have a veranda and a nice view of the garden and pool.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

This is just below room 424 and just outside room 224

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Hudson, Ohio
reviews: 27
9. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

Was debating the same thing. This will be my first trip as well I went with a lanai room at the pier house for 279$ that's a pretty good price for the location.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
10. Re: Pier House or Southernmost on the Beach?

You understand that they have instituted a $20.00 / day parking fee?

Pjk

Edited: 10:41 am, June 28, 2013