We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charter Fishing- Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spencer...
reviews: 1
Charter Fishing- Key West

My boyfriend and I are visiting Key West July 29th- August 4th. I want to take him out on a charter boat. It's just the two of us and the ones I have seen so far are for 6 people or so. Does anyone know of options for two people? We will work on board if needed! I don't have a huge budget and I'm afraid that could really limit the options for us. I'd like to spend $200 between the two of us.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
1. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

The six-person number is the max virtually all of the private charters can take, hence the term "six pack," but they will take two but it gets expensive. You can try for a split charter to reduce the cost or take a look at the Tortuga IV, what we call a head boat in NJ...

http://www.tortugacharters.com/

Pjk

Spencer...
2. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it :)

reviews: 3
3. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Check out Kingbird Charters.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
4. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

You've got a couple of choices.

1) Go on a head boat. On the plus side, they are cheaper. They cater to the masses. They can carry many more people. The downside is that you get a prepackaged fishing trip.

2) A private charter is more expensive, but they will cater to your needs. You are the only ones on the boat.

3) Kingbird, while a very good charter, will no go out for $200. There are fuel costs, insurance costs, the cost of bait, the cost of licenses, $200 w2ill not cut it.

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
5. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

For a fishing charter I always recomend Kingbird Charters because that is who I always go out with but 200.00 is not going to cut it. I would call them and ask them about a half day charter and see if you can swing that. They are nice people with a lot of knolage of how to catch fish and you can swing it you will have a blast..

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
6. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Sometimes if you contact a charter boat Capt. that you'd like to go fishing with and ask is they can help find 2 or 4 more people to "split" the charter, they can help you out. If you don't pre-book before you get into town; go walk by the charter boats & occasionally you will see some of the signs looking for (example) "1/2 day split charter, or full day split", etc. Just a thought/suggestion :)

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
7. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Just a note, Kingbird Charters uasualy takes up to four so you will only need to find one other couple to split the charter with if you use them.

Edited: 12:39 pm, June 26, 2013
Key West, Florida
8. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Check out www.RedBullKeyWest.com on Trip Advisor. Good pricing and nice trips. This is a inshore trip. Most of the good offshore boats will spend more than $200 in fuel on a trip. I know we spend over $300 in fuel on a trip on "Relentless" www.RelentlessKeyWest.com . People also put splits together, most offshore split trips run $225 a person for 4 to 6 people on a boat. Inshore could be a little less. Stop by "Gone Fishin' " store at 1102 C Duval St. Phone: 305-395-1416 they put spit trips together for people.

Cheers,

Capt. Bob

Edited: 7:26 am, June 27, 2013
Spencer...
9. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely be looking into this... also, looking into my budget and see what we can do! :)

10. Re: Charter Fishing- Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 29, 2014