We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorekling in the keys

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kfar vradim, Israel
Best Snorekling in the keys

hi guys

I'm looking for snorekling in the Keys

it needs to be amazing, so kids would enjoy it.

what is the absolute Best Snorekling in the keys?

Miami, Florida
reviews: 10
1. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

If you're in Key West, look at Danger Charters to go out on a snorkel adventure. Elsewhere in the lower Keys I would probably head out to Looe Key. In the upper Keys, I would look into chartering a boat out of Key Largo.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 55
2. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

I think the best snorkeling out of Key West is at the reef, approxiately seven niles south of Key West. And at the reef the best spots are Sand Key or Rock Key. These are from Rock Key last May...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Danger doesn't go here so if you want to go out to the reef, you need to look at Fury or Sebago or perhaps the Floridays.

Pjk

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
3. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

the best snorkeling in the Keys is at Bahia Honda or Ft. Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas.

There are also dozens of other spots on the reef which can be great, but these 2 spots seem to get the most recommendations. Be aware that the reef spans about 170 miles.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
4. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

Hi Orion, where were you at in Bahia Honda or where have you heard it's good? Would that be on the ocean side? A couple of years again in last winter I saw a bunch of people on the ocean side but it was too cold for me, lol. I did just put some goggles on and stuck my head under briefly really close in on the "gulf" side but didn't see too much. Again, I did not really go out and I wasn't really snorkeling, my point is I planned to go check out all of the Keys again much later than my last visit so I just wanted to check. I thought I read on here some bad reviews about it. It was just such a beautiful place I know we would love to go back and if there is even decent snorkeling that is even better! I do know Dry Tortugas is definitely on our list!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
5. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

Coffins Patch and Sombrero Reef are beautiful! Definitely worth checking out.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 60
6. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

We really enjoyed the snorkeling Looe Key.

http://www.diveflakeys.com/

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
7. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

sorry, I meant Looe Key, which you can get to from Bahia Honda or a few outfits that are on Big Pine Key and other areas close by.

The snorkeling at Bahia Honda is only good when there is a slack tide and no wind. I've only encountered that kind of condition once on my 4 separate snorkel trips there. It was clear on both sides on the park, with the best snorkeling in the channel, which is not a safe area for beginners.

For more reliable beach snorkeling, the beach at J. Pennekamp (on Key Largo) is almost always good, and I think I've always seen cool things on all of my 5 or 6 stops there.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
8. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

Thank you! And after I posted it I thought about it, I have never truly snorkeled in the Keys and only on Caribbean islands where I am used to just walk in from the beach and have awesome snorkeling. It seems the Keys are more geared towards going out to the reef, but no worries that is fine by me as everything I researched so far looks awesome! :)

Now, how to keep the shark fear out of newbie snorkelers to the Keys! LOL, I'm sure I will get used to it and already planning the trip of 10 days covering Largo all the way to a day trip at Fort Jeff :) Very excited and can't wait!

Tavernier, Florida...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

We live in the Upper Keys, my wife recently took her mom on the Reef Runner catamaran out of Key Largo, there is a Groupon for $17, it was a great trip-nice ride on the catamaran out to the reef, 2hrs in the water at 2 locations, they enjoyed it and spent less than the gas to go in our boat. Don't know if you will be in the Upper Keys but if you are she recommends it.

~B~

10. Re: Best Snorekling in the keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 29, 2014