We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The must see stuff for KW

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 61
The must see stuff for KW

Hello, we are two fun-loving middle-aged Aussie couples heading back to the US once again because we love the sights and we love the people (4th time for me, 5th for my hubby and 3rd for our friends). We enjoy a good wine and 1960s music or something we can imagine we know the words to even if we don't actually sing along :) We are healthy and try to fit as much as we can into a day. Can you please tell me the best place (or area) to stay where we can enjoy a fun band, have a glass of good wine (or even marguerita) and also get to see the best of Key West. We only have most of a day and one night and will be driving in and leaving the next day so to be in a good area would be fantastic. We are spending 4 weeks in the US this time and driving from New Orleans into Miami on this particular leg (one of a few) - passing through KW.

Thank you so much for your help in advance. I love TA - it always gives me the answers I need from delightful people!

Rockaway Beach, NY
reviews: 40
1. Re: The must see stuff for KW

A rather ambitious plan for just one night in KW. From Miami, without stopping along the way, you're looking at a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive. And that's under ideal conditions. In many places, U.S. 1 south of Key Largo, is one lane in each direction. A car accident or poor weather could add considerably to your time. Quick example, we recently drove to KW from Fort Lauderdale. Made the trip in a little over 5 hours with a stop for lunch. Our friend left Miami about 90 minutes after we left Lauderdale, and it took them nearly 7 hours due to an overturned vehicle on U.S. 1. Not fun. I don't mean to discourage your plan, but that's a lot of time in the car for an overnight trip, plan on at least 8 hours there and back from Miami. And it would be a shame to make the drive down through the Keys and not stop at least once or twice along the way. Great places for lunch along the way and some gorgeous scenery.

If you do make the trip, stay anywhere in the Old Town area near or on Duval Street. You'll find a ton of restaurants pubs live music just a few minutes walk away. If you could extend your stay a bit, there are so many more things to do and see in KW, too many to do on an overnight trip. Either way enjoy your trip, sounds like you'll have a blast.

Edited: 7:49 am, June 23, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 53
2. Re: The must see stuff for KW

A few suggestions:

Truman's Little White House tour

The Hemmingway House tour

A glass of wine and/or a slice of Key Lime Pie in the back yard at Kelli's on Whitehead Street (very convenient to both the Little White House and the Hemmingway House)

After dark, if there's a house band playing at Capt Tony's you HAVE to go there and have a cup of Capt Tony's Punch and dance a bit.

Dinner at either Louie's Backyard or the Piano Bar at the Pier House (the Piano Bar will be the better place for a glass of wine)

The Salvagers Museum (to get a flavor of how Key West got to be Key West)

The Conch Train Tour of old town

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 56
3. Re: The must see stuff for KW

Sunset sail and a wine tasting ---> dangercharters.com/wind-wine-sunset-sail/

Pjk

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: The must see stuff for KW

Thank you everyone for your replies - I will read up on them all. Lungfish we are not coming from Miami and returning. We are coming from Houston after flying there from Istanbul to catch a cruise. We will be picking up a car after the cruise and then travelling from Houston along the coast road eventually ending up in Miami. We are flexible but have pencilled in one night in Key West and expect to stop along the way. We are not in a hurry but are used to travelling long distances as our homeland has wide open spaces. After Miami we will fly to Denver before travelling across the Rockies to Reno. We are so far from other countries that when we holiday abroad we go for several months at a time. If we need to throw an extra night at Key West and surroundings that won't be a problem. Duval St sounds like the area for us with a look at the other places suggested as well. My friend is aching for some of that Key Lime pie ;) Captain Tony's sounds like a fun place. Thanks John and pjk for your help. In fact, thank you all. I have some reading to do!

Jacksonville, FL
reviews: 5
5. Re: The must see stuff for KW

What are your dates for KW? Man, so much I could say. If Pete and Wayne are still at Sloppy Joes (think 7/5/13 is last day), they are always a must do. I agree with the Danger sunset sail. We did this 2 trips back and LOVED it. Any of the bars up and down Duval are an experience. I would suggest staying at a bed and breakfast close to Duval..many on Simonton that are fabulous. Are there 4 of you? Check out Simonton Court, Heron House, Pilot House. You have to walk through the bight area/marina...several KW style must stop bars with local music. Definitely add a night is my best advice. Heading there in 7 days!

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: The must see stuff for KW

Thanks Tripsweluv for your advice on the places to stay. This is very helpful indeed. Yes, there are 4 of us - two married couples. Looks as though another night is in order ;)

Florida
reviews: 11
7. Re: The must see stuff for KW

I completely agree with the suggestions to stay an extra day or two in KW if your schedule allows. So much to do, so little time..................once you are there, you won't want to leave!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 60
8. Re: The must see stuff for KW

flossygirl, check out Key West Steps website. They have a lot of places mapped out and it is so easy to use!

http://www.keyweststeps.com/

You may also want to do a trolley tour around the island for more ideas of things to see and do!

Brisbane, Australia
9. Re: The must see stuff for KW

Djad, I have not heard about that website before. I'll have a look. Thank you!

10. Re: The must see stuff for KW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014