We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
reviews: 1
Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

I am about to drive from Miami to Key West and from there to West Palm Beach. I have just learned about Florida"s Electronic Only tolls. It sounds like it might be pretty pricey to obtain the Sun Pass from the rental car agency. Is it possible to avoid the electronic tolls? Or am I just being impossibly stingy?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 82
1. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

You can use 997, about 8 miles west of the Turnpike, to avoid the cashless tolls and expensive rental programs. It's slower but more scenic. It joins US1 at Homestead for the Keys.

US1 from Miami, or 95, can be very slow. Lots of stop lights.

Webster, New York
reviews: 6
2. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

If you do not want to take the extra time for the senic route you can also purchase a Sun Pass at many stores like CVS and Publix. I ordered mine online before our trip for for $5 and will add the rental cars plate when I rent it. You can do a seach below for more info. Happy Travels.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 131
3. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

rental car agreements are here:https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

check it closely as they all seam to have a different agreement.

Cashless tolls end in Miami Dade County and are easily avoided

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

And if you do take the 997, which is 6 miles west of the Turnpike toll road, you can stop at a place visitors like called Robert Is Here. It is a fruit/veg. stand and visitors like the fruit shakes. Google for details.

Edited: 7:59 am, March 09, 2013
conn
reviews: 118
5. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

The tolls from Miami down to the Keys are not that expensive, rental car company will bill your CC for them for a small fee. Don't obsess about alternate routes, cost, just drive straight down and enjoy.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
6. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

Since you are from the US, you could order your own sunpass in advance of your trip.

https:/…displayPurchaseTransponderAgreement

Each rental car company has a different way of charging for this so it's worth understanding the "rules of the road" for your company. Avoid unpleasant surprise.

Traverse City...
reviews: 38
7. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

You can choose the rental companies that only charge 2.95 for the days you're on the toll roads plus the charge. Much easier than messing around with a sunpass.

PHILADELPHIA,PA
reviews: 3
8. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

I'm not doing this but how are you charged if you are driving in your own car say all the way from Pennsylvania? If you had no idea about the electronic toll. Do they take a picture of your plate and they send you a bill or a ticket??

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
9. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

Yes, you get a bill in the mail - via your plate.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
10. Re: Miami - Key West Electronic Tolls

PS

and a service charge added on.

Get answers to your questions about Key West