We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
reviews: 23
Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

So I have planned our trip to Key Largo and Key West for Thanksgiving week. We would like to go on a snorkel trip in Key West and am concerned about the water temperature. We do not have wet suits. I have checked on the weather site and the temps are usually in the 80's. Can anyone let me know their experience?

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
reviews: 121
1. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

Molasses Reef is off Key Largo and a popular snorkel & dive spot. NOAA has a buoy there monitoring conditions.

www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php…

You can see wind speed, water temp, air temp.

In November, being accustomed to warm water, I would be wearing a full wetsuit. If you are accustomed to cooler lake temperatures, it would probably be fine for you.

Most of the snorkel/dive operators will have wetsuits available.

Los Angeles
reviews: 44
2. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

most dive operators, especially those in Key Largo, will have wetsuits available.

You generally will need one if the water temps are below 80 degrees for an hour-long dive.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 38
3. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

For Key West, Danger Charters which only does a snorkel / kayak trip, provides wet suits as part of the cost of the trip. Most of the others provide them as rentals for $10.00 pp. Even with a shorty I was chilled snorkeling in November.

Pjk

Berwick, Maine
reviews: 1
4. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

I used to always wear some kind of wet suit, either a shorty of long 3 mil. In November the temps are usually warm enough to wear just the shorty. The only thing to remember in November is that the current is usually running pretty good in some of the dive spots.

Buster

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 1
5. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

I always where a wet suit even in the summer time. In November the water in the Keys is getting chilly so I think you will need one to keep warm.

kansas
reviews: 23
6. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

Thank you for your information. It is good to know that some charters will provide wet suits. We are not sure, but will decide when we get there about snorkeling. We try to go snorkeling every vacation location that gives the opportunity.

7. Re: Water temperature? Wet suits needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 10, 2014