We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving monday - couple questions!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington...
reviews: 1
arriving monday - couple questions!

my husband and i are arriving monday morning for my third, his second trip to KW. the first time, i was 22 on vacation with girlfriends, and LOVED it, but we NEVER left the 200 block of duval. the second time around, i wanted to branch out a little, but never got the chance. (what was originally supposed to be a group trip turned into a few people backing out, and us getting stuck on vacation with one of my husbands single friends.) i had wanted to start off the week with the conch train as an "overview" of everything i missed by staying on duval my first time around, so i had an idea on what else was out there. my husbands friend kind of hijacked the vacation, and when a bartender told him the conch train was too touristy, he refused to go, and made me feel pretty stupid about wanting to go. (i pointed out that we arent FROM key west, so we ARE tourists, as uncool as people make it sound! so why be afraid of doing things?) LOL and we ended up stickng around duval for most of the trip anyway. so my first question is, this being my third time in key west, would it still be worth it to do this kind of tour? does it give enough of a tour out of the duval area that it would feel like ive seen a lot that i havent seen before??

also, if i am thinking about a sunset dinner at latitudes, how far in advance do i need to make a reservation?? is a couple days in advance okay, or should i already have called?? if i can wait until we are actually there, that would be good, but would hate to wait too long.

Key West, Florida
31. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

Technically, Art.... Being born here makes you a Conch. Living here makes you a local. Surviving here after seven years makes you a Fresh Water Conch. Being a tourist has NO negative connotation!

Key West, Florida
32. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

Of course, being a butthead regardless of where someone lives, how long they've been there or how often they've visited still makes them a butthead. They can't be helped. Lol

Charleston, South...
reviews: 14
33. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

For a nice sunset dinner cruiese we have enoyed the Sunset Culinare several times, only drawback is they don't go from Old Town. Food and atmospher are fantastic.

Brooklyn
reviews: 22
34. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I had a wonderful lunch at Latitudes this week, and it couldn't have been nicer! The food was terrific, the view was gorgeous. I actually called and got a reservation the same day (Open Table was not showing any for that day) so if you don't see a time you want it can't hurt to call. And lunch there is so affordable!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 33
35. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

Absolutely, Seabus! The first time we went to Latitudes, we also scored a reservation the same day by walking into the Westin and seeing the concierge. Lunch at Latitudes is so good!

whinta
reviews: 13
36. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

You sound like precisely the kind of visitor who would benefit from the train in that you want to learn all about the island. You also sound like you will not have a car and want to get around and see more than Old Town so the train sounds like a plan. I was a different kind of visitor in that I most like the recreational features (parasail, golf, sunset celebration, sunset sails, pool, tennis, karaoke, music, snorkel, sunrise walks, bicycle, maybe even a couple of hours at the beach) that are not the point of the train experience. Someday I might do the train or even the Audabon or Hemingway houses if there's a rainy day, but that is just me.

Unlike a lot of visitors I'm also not a big foodie, but I am a big fan of Latitudes. Still, I never appreciated why sunset dinner is so important. To me there is sunset and then there is dinner and I do not see why it is absolutely necessary to combine them. There are lots of ways to enjoy the sunset -- my favorite is the sunset sail -- and there are plenty of good restaurants. As others have said, lunch at Latitudes is great. I do it every year and I do not feel especially deprived by not having the same spot at sunset. Other sunset dining spots that I've seen touted on TA include Louie's and Trattoria Oceanside, and I'm sure there are others as well. I haven't been to any of these places for a sunset, but my basic point is that KW has so many different venues and activities that you need not get locked into any one thing, and if you miss something you really wanted, just leave it for the next trip.

Key West, Florida
reviews: 24
37. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

Another vote for Hot Tin Roof. Excellent view, exceptional food. I've only done lunch at Latitude's, but their food was excellent as well, and the daytime view is also quite beautiful.

And definitely take a trolley or train tour. You will not be disappointed.

38. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Key West