We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving monday - couple questions!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington...
reviews: 1
arriving monday - couple questions!

my husband and i are arriving monday morning for my third, his second trip to KW. the first time, i was 22 on vacation with girlfriends, and LOVED it, but we NEVER left the 200 block of duval. the second time around, i wanted to branch out a little, but never got the chance. (what was originally supposed to be a group trip turned into a few people backing out, and us getting stuck on vacation with one of my husbands single friends.) i had wanted to start off the week with the conch train as an "overview" of everything i missed by staying on duval my first time around, so i had an idea on what else was out there. my husbands friend kind of hijacked the vacation, and when a bartender told him the conch train was too touristy, he refused to go, and made me feel pretty stupid about wanting to go. (i pointed out that we arent FROM key west, so we ARE tourists, as uncool as people make it sound! so why be afraid of doing things?) LOL and we ended up stickng around duval for most of the trip anyway. so my first question is, this being my third time in key west, would it still be worth it to do this kind of tour? does it give enough of a tour out of the duval area that it would feel like ive seen a lot that i havent seen before??

also, if i am thinking about a sunset dinner at latitudes, how far in advance do i need to make a reservation?? is a couple days in advance okay, or should i already have called?? if i can wait until we are actually there, that would be good, but would hate to wait too long.

Topsail Island, NC
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 33
1. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I would say yes on the tour!

We like the trolley because you can get on and off at the different stops if you want but I hear the train is cool, too. When we took the trolley we went with a couple who are part time residents who have been coming to Key West for over 20 years. They came along just so we could spend the day together and although I don't think they saw anything that was new to them, they did say some of the trivia and odd little facts that the tour guide was talking about were things that they didn't know. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and although it might be "touristy" it's a fun way to tour the island.

NYC
reviews: 2
2. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I think you should do the trolley, too, to see all the highlights, but after that you might consider renting bikes - that's the "local's" way to get around, and you'll be able to see all the tiny alleyways, unique houses, and off-the-beaten path oddities that Key West is known for (and that neither the trolley nor the train will take you to!)

Tracey

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 29
3. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I always recommend the train/trolley to first timers...and since you haven't really seen the island you should take one of them.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

make your reservation now for latitudes using open table...

http://www.opentable.com/latitudes

enjoy!

Key West, Florida
5. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

As a local, I have to say that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG OR UNCOOL ABOUT BEING A TOURIST. Further, a huge thank you to ALL tourists who make the effort to get to Key West (We ain't just around the block) and keep the economy here going. Whether they want to admit it or not, everyone who lives in Key West can live here because of tourism... From doctors to bank tellers, to landlords (Okay, trust funders and the independently wealthy are exempted) the majority of our income is derived from tourist dollars either directly or indirectly. Just thought that needed saying.

BTW, the first two times visiting here before we moved many years ago, we also spent a ton of time on Duval because it was (gasp) fun! Expensive, but fun! Living here, we tend to avoid it because we've learned that you can have as much fun for less, off Duval or away from lower Duval.

Edited: 12:57 am, February 23, 2013
Los Angeles
reviews: 43
6. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I wish I'd taken the Conch Train on my first visit.

It covers so much of Old Town, many places off Duval - from the White Street Pier to the Green Parrot to the great B&B's that you'll see, it's a great way to find out a lot about the island. The "engineer" of the train will usually key you in on little details that you could easily miss if you were on your own.

If you find it too touristy you can always jump off at the short stop. Is there still a 10 minute stop at the corner by Sloppy Joes?

Lockport, IL
reviews: 17
7. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

We love the train! It helped us see so many things we normally wouldn't see on our own. And it gives your feet a rest from all that walking! My dad came down with us this past fall on his first trip, and we suggested the train to him. He wouldn't stop talking about it!

This summer is our 7th trip, and we're still tourists at heart. It's fun that way! :-)

Londonderry, NH
8. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I've been to Key West five times in the past six years, recently this past December. I have taken the Conch Train tour each of those visits. I learn something new on every ride. It may seem expensive, but for the knowledge of not only the history of the island but also a layout as to where things are, it is invaluable. Don't think that because you've been to the island that you don't need the tour. After all, we are all tourists, as another poster said. In addition, as another said, the trolley could also be fun but I lean towards the Train. I will probably take the Conch Train Tour next December again. Be well. Tour well. Have fun.

Wayne <><

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 29
9. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

I have been a tourist for 8 years and am proud of it !

Kittery, Maine
reviews: 38
10. Re: arriving monday - couple questions!

People think of Latitudes as a place for that special dinner but they also serve a wonderful breakfast there and it's so much less expensive that it makes a perfect way to splurge on a budget. Much less of an issue too regarding reservations. Mrs. Mojito and I have fond memories of sitting outside on the beautiful patio and relaxing with hardly anyone else around for a leisurely morning there. Mimosas and omelets. Mmmmmm.