We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running on Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Running on Key West

I'm coming down for my first Key West adventure (of many, hopefully) from March 1st-3rd with my girlfriend, who is in training for the Boston Marathon in April. We're hoping to do a 15-20 mile run on Saturday, and shorter 6-8 mile runs Fri & Sun. Can we run the outer edge of the island all the way around, or out and back on U.S. 1 on the side of the road, or any combination of the two?

Basically, can anyone recommend a running route that we can utilize once or twice on our stay?

Thanks -

Sam

32 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
21. Re: Running on Key West

Thanks socrog - appreciate the advice. We definitely looked at the races onMarathon, but we're going to be on a cruise for the week prior to our Key West jaunt, and getting in horrendous, limited treadmill miles, so we decided to go mileage heavy back on land over the weekend. The races were counterproductive, unfortunately. We really wanted to. Maybe next year! :)

Minot, ND
22. Re: Running on Key West

We stayed at Santa Maria Suites when we were in KW a few weeks ago, & I ran a 6 mi out & back along the Overseas Heritage Trail. For a longer run, take a look on Google Maps & I’m sure you can just keep on following it around KW then head up Palm Causeway. Palm comes around to Eaton St., then you can follow that around to Fort Zachery & complete a loop around. Google Maps says it’s around 10 mi, so look maybe a little short for you ladies.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
23. Re: Running on Key West

In case you want to try something new the 37th Swim Around Key West is coming up in June. Better you than me.

Pjk

New York City, New...
24. Re: Running on Key West

Hey all - thanks so so much for all the advice. We loved Key West, and our runs. We decided to pass on the 20, bec we wanted to save energy for enjoying the city itself, so we did two 10 mile runs. The first day, we ran along the South/East edge of the city, along Atlantic, South St etc, down below The Truman Annex along the NAS, then around the edge of Mallory Sq, up the side to Eaton and then Roosevelt, and then back across town. The only part that wasn't gorgeous was the construction on Roosevelt, but it was def pasable. Second run, we went north to Stock Island, out and back a few miles along the golf course, and then back down the side streets off Truman. We can't wait to return!!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 33
25. Re: Running on Key West

Thanks for teh last note, glad you had a good time. please come back and tell us how Boston's goes ! GOOD LUCK

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
26. Re: Running on Key West

We are visiting KW via cruise ship and would like to take a run (no more than 10 miles). It sounds like a run on Higgs and Smathers Beach would be very nice. Are these beaches convenient/close to the cruise ship dock?

Thanks.!!!!

Savannah, GA
reviews: 23
27. Re: Running on Key West

My wife and I like running through the neighborhoods of Key West. Love the architecture. Since we're usually out of breath from running our conversations are usually limited to one of us pointing to an Eyebrow house and saying "EYEBROW!"

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
28. Re: Running on Key West

Morton, without considerations to traffic, if you ran from just off the docks all the way up Whitehead, then over to Higgs and as far along and past Smathers to approx the airport then all the way back, it'd be between 8.5 and 9.0 miles. Scenic, but a lot of streets to cross and traffic and pedestrians, and you wouldn't actually run on the beachs.

Pjk

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 73
29. Re: Running on Key West

It's about 2 miles from the docks to Higgs Beach. From the docks just run down Whitehead Street to Southernmost Point and go left down South Street to Reynolds. Go right and you come to Higgs Beach. If you continue on along Higgs and Smather to the airport, then run back, it is about 10 miles.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
30. Re: Running on Key West

Thanks for responding. Is the neighborhood run a better idea then, Wesley? Can you give us an approximate route?

Reply to: Running on Key West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key West