We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the weather in sept

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
reviews: 6
the weather in sept

We re going to the keys the first week of sept,how is it then?

Key West
reviews: 14
1. Re: the weather in sept

It can be very hot in Sept. The winds are generally not super bad, sometimes afternoon thunderstorms.

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 6
2. Re: the weather in sept

Thanks, really more concerned about Hurricane season...

Key West
reviews: 14
3. Re: the weather in sept

It is impossible to predict if a Hurricane will come in Sept or not.(or any part of hurricane season) For what its worth my wife and I had no reservations about planning our wedding for the first week in Sept.

Bonez

Topsail Island, NC
reviews: 33
4. Re: the weather in sept

If it were me I think I would purchase trip insurance and then not give it a second thought.

Hurricanes seldom affect Key West as much as the do other southeastern coastal areas but there still is a slight chance. If you get the trip insurance and there is not a storm, then you spent a little money for piece of mind. If there is a storm then you could get reimbursed for some of your expenses.

That's the same advice I give to people wondering about vacationing here on Topsail Island, where hurricanes events are more common.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 34
5. Re: the weather in sept

I'm with Conniecat. Buy trip insurance and then don't worry about it unless there is a reason to as your date nears. Hurricane season lasts half the year but that doesn't mean there will be a storm.

ontario, canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: the weather in sept

I have been in September a few times. Only once in the past 5 years did I have to rebook due to weather. They had blocked the road at the top of the keys the day I was due to land. Every September trip it has rained extremely hard. So hard in fact people were water skiing down Duval. The rain did not dampen anyone's spirits. (pardon the pun) Quite honestly, we still had a good time and never gave the weather a second thought.

conn
reviews: 109
7. Re: the weather in sept

I was in KW this last September and it was 90's , high humidity and thunderstroms popping up daily. The T storms don't necessarily hit KW but you can see them. We did see several water spouts, more of an atraction than a danger. Trip insurance is recommended.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
8. Re: the weather in sept

I also recommend trip insurance in September. It will be hot, humid, and will rain some, but not all day long. If you like to get up early in the morning, it will be beautiful. After the sun goes down, the breeze kicks in, and it's gorgeous. The water is warm and the drinks are cold. It's the slowest month of the year, and perfect for relaxing.

Central Illinois
reviews: 16
9. Re: the weather in sept

Climatologically, mid-September is the peak of the Atlantic hurricane season. We arrived just a few days after hurricane Rita in 2005, which was followed by Wilma in mid-October. I agree with purchasing trip insurance. The "up side" to that time of year is that it's usually not as crowded and easier to get a good seat at the bar. The "down side" some businesses take vacation in September, and close. Typically, it's later in the month than you're thinking.

For some video of post Rita cleanup, youtube and search for "key west after rita by conchylee." No ads, no spam, no copyright violations. No owling, please.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 20
10. Re: the weather in sept

You may also find a few of the restaurants closed for vacation during Sept.

Get answers to your questions about Key West