We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Misgav
reviews: 26
Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

We want to visit the Keys to enjoy the views and scenery. I understand that it is a beautiful drive. Would we be missing out by only driving northwards from Key West back to Miami?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 14
1. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

Missing out? The drive is beautiful, but only half of the story.

There are millions of cool stops all up and down the keys. It would be almost criminal if you didn't get a chance to take them in.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
2. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

I enjoy the drive from Miami to Key West, but hate the drive back! I fly into Key West or do a one way car rental on the way down, whenever possible.

Scranton...
reviews: 69
3. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

I think the beauty part of your plan is that you get to see it both ways. I love flying into Key West (make sure you get a window seat). It's beautiful to see the water and the island from up above. Then taking the drive to Miami you can stop along the way and take in the view from the road. The drive is around 3-4 hours not including stops.

Misgav
reviews: 26
4. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

Buffetguy - I wouldn't want to be a criminal, would I !

Williamsville, New...
reviews: 47
5. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

If it's your 1st trip to Key West I would drive both ways...in a convertable. The ride down is amazing. The ride back is sad, but & so much to see & do.

Sift through the right side of this page for info on what to see & do & where to eat. If you drive straight through, it is about a 3.5 hour drive, but take your time check out some places on the way down.

Some places on the way to or from:

Alabama Jacks on Card Sound Road, Hurricane Memorial & Robbie's Marina (feed tarpon) on Islamorada, Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key, No Name Pub & key deer on Big Pine Key, Bahia Honda.

Rockford, Illinois...
6. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

I have never flown into Key West - always Miami. I do enjoy the drive and have never found it it to be be boring. My last trip I took a lot more time to stop at different places and enjoy more things. It does make you take a longer trip if you want a certain amount of time in Key West, but I always factor this in. This also gives me a rental car to use in KW - as I have found a car very handy to get a cup of coffee or get the Hogfish Grill among other places.

Painesville, Ohio
reviews: 4
7. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

Last year I flew into Key West for the first time in 20 of coming there. I have to admit it is quite nice to see the water views getting there. The best part (If you are staying in key west) is that you can start your vacation right away. I was snorkeling within 1 hr of landing that included checking into the B&B. But certainly driving back is amazing take your time, go down sidestreets, look around stop at a nursery eat some lime pie.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 14
8. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

Taking a practical approach. Look at your budget and look at your goals for the vacation.

If cost is a concern, and you think that the journey is as important as the destination, then fly into MIA and enjoy the journey.

If money is no object, and your primary concern is the fact that Key West might run out of rum or beer before you get there, then fly into EYW.

Easton,Pa
reviews: 10
9. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

We fly in and out but rent a convertible and take a leisurely drive one daysIt is a beautiful drive but we really hate the drive back and never can wait to get there. This trip we're going to Little Palm for lunch or brunch on our car day. 36 days and we'll be there....

NYC
reviews: 2
10. Re: Miami to Key West: fly one way, or drive both ways

We did the drive in 1999 for the first -- and last! -- time. The way down is lovely, and all of the scenery is new. The drive back? You suddenly realize it's a two-lane road and you've seen all this stuff before! ;) We've flown directly into KW ever since.

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com