We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centerville...
reviews: 9
Day trip to Key West

I am thinking about flying into Key West and going to the beach just for a quick day trip. From the airport how is the best way to get to the beach? How long does it take to get to the beach from the airport?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
1. Re: Day trip to Key West

You can almost cross the street that the airport is on and make a right. Smathers Beach is about 1/2 mile along there. It's a public beach with a place to rent a chair. You could cab it there as there are cabs at the airport, or even cab to the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: Day trip to Key West

Flying in to Key West for a day trip to the beach does not sound like a good idea to me. If the purpose of the trip is to spend time on the beach, there are many many other choices that have more direct flights and much better beaches.

Knoxville
reviews: 4
3. Re: Day trip to Key West

I agree with KeyWestSteps. The keys are BEAUTIFUL, but don't come expecting great beaches!:)

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
4. Re: Day trip to Key West

Do you have any other reason to come to Key West, besides the beach? In and out the same day?

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 1
5. Re: Day trip to Key West

I will have to agree, if you are only coming to go to the beach I would go somewhere else like South Beach in Miami.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
6. Re: Day trip to Key West

The airport is small and easy to navigate. But unless you can get a direct flight from where you are, you will spend more time traveling than relaxing. Also, flights are usually not cheap.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
7. Re: Day trip to Key West

Unless it's an airline pass. KW is a popular place for day trips for pass riders.

Los Angeles
reviews: 44
8. Re: Day trip to Key West

I guess I'm scratching my head also. We're mostly wondering what will you be doing at the beach?

The cab ride to Ft. Zachary Taylor is about $20. It's probably one of the longest taxi rides most will take in Old Town.

mohrsville
reviews: 10
9. Re: Day trip to Key West

I would'nt take a day trip to KW for the beach , but I would take a day trip to KW for crab and lobster sliders at Latitudes and a mango martini at RoofTop Cafe , but hey that's just me!!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 12
10. Re: Day trip to Key West

We went to Key West for the Day on the Go Miami Card. Transportation was included and we were picked up and dropped off from where we stayed. It was a long but fabulous day. Key West is a fun town to explore. Lots of historical buildings in vibrant colors. We took the trolley tour and hopped on and off as we pleased. Drivers were very knowledgable and friendly. However, the trains did not come on time and when it did come, it was quite full so some passengers were not able to get on, and have to wait for the next train.

When our day was done and time to board the bus to return to Miami, a stranger was trying to sneak on. He was asking where the bus was going to. Someone with the tour answered him, and he hopped on without the bus driver’s awareness or consent. The bus driver did not do any head-count. The return trip was definitely a bit on the edge. Glad to have got back to hotel in one piece!