We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Hi All,

we are going to Key West for the first time and will be there for a week. We are driving down through the keys. We are staying at the Hyatt Beach House. Are there any areas we should be aware of NOT to venture near or things we should be cautious about? Thanks in advance for the heads up

Edited: 10:35 am, January 17, 2013
Midwest family
reviews: 46
21. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

We go to Key West twice a year and have been there many times. I have always felt safe no matter the time of day or night. It is truly paradise. The local law enforcement does a wonderful job, in part I'm sure, because tourism is their bread and butter. People are friendly and it is a laid back community. Our next trip is coming up soon and we can't wait to get there. Rent a bike because a car is a nuisance. You can bike to any place on the island with ease. Eden Street Bikes has delivery to wherever you are staying and pick up when leaving. Enjoy the best vacation spot in the United States!

Key West, Florida
reviews: 1
22. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

It's been said but bears repeating.... Key West is a safe and fun place.... A great place to raise kids and live and let live however, basic precautions are always in order. Never flash wads of cash. Keep a good sense of your surroundings etc. Key West is safer than many destinations but there is no guarantee that absolutely everyone around you in the crowd is 100% honest and has your best interests at heart. Don't be overly concerned, just use common sense and you'll have the time of your lives!

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 3
23. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Many times during our trip I walked alone and never felt unsafe.

The only thing that rattled me was coming upon a guy laying bloody and face first on a lower Duval sidewalk. College kid who couldnt handle his alcohol, tripped and passed out stone cold.

Brooklyn
reviews: 22
24. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

I travel alone to Key West and have never felt unsafe. I stay at Angelina in BV. That being said, I do walk with purpose at night.

This year the only place I should have been more leery of is the Chart Room--it sucked me in a couple nights when "just one drink" turned into hours of drinking a laughter! LOL!

yorkshire
reviews: 39
25. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Odd thing to warn you of but -parking.

If you have a car, make sure you park with the flow of traffic.

If you park against the flow, you will get a ticket!

26. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 27, 2014