We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Hi All,

we are going to Key West for the first time and will be there for a week. We are driving down through the keys. We are staying at the Hyatt Beach House. Are there any areas we should be aware of NOT to venture near or things we should be cautious about? Thanks in advance for the heads up

Edited: 10:35 am, January 17, 2013
Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
1. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Key West. Just follow basic travel safety and you should be fine. Even after dark I have always felt comfortable on the main roads. There are always plenty of people around on Duval.

Williamsville, New...
reviews: 42
2. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Use common sense & you will be fine.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 35
3. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Don't snorkel at Sand Key where the waves are breaking. This will be where they are coming over the reef and if you are hit by one you can become disoriented and likely be shoved into a section of the reef and damage it. sometimes tis is true of Rock Key.

That's all I can think of.

Pjk

conn
reviews: 105
4. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

I've been around KW's many neighborhoods at all hours of day and night and never felt uncomfortable. It is good to have a designated navigator (LOL) if you are drinking. This way you don't get lost or fall into a gutter somewhere!!

Upstate New York
reviews: 3
5. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Avoid the t-shirt shop on Duval where they don't tell you that you pay for the shirt, AND the decal, AND the application of decal.

NC
6. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

There are a few roosters there that I wouldn't want any part of. There is one in particular that WILL find you and wake you up at all hours of the night.

Just kidding, have fun, and use sound judgement and you should be ok. Remember, any one that can afford to live in Old Town probably has enough money that they don't need to resort to crime. A TINY one bedroom apt is like $1000/month!

MI
reviews: 8
7. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Be cautious about the sun. Wear sunscreen. Wear lots of sunscreen.

Be cautious about the barracuda a Higgs Beach, I guess they are harmless but they do look quite scary when they show their teeth.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
8. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

As long as we are giving out advice... Don't order the mixed drinks at Irish Kevin's. Stick to beer at that joint. Particularly if New York Pauly is singing at it's like the 5 th bar that night. You might end up in all sorts of danger!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 35
9. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

Bet these A's were not, thankfully, what you were expecting. Hopefully they will make you comfortable.

Pjk

Los Angeles
reviews: 43
10. Re: Areas to stay away from in Key West?

in the middle of spring break you'll need to be careful where you are walking down in the heart of Duval St.

College kids don't carry barf bags!