We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suburban Chicago
reviews: 49
Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

My fiance and I are flying into FLL late in the evening (midnight) and am not sure if it is worth paying for a hotel at $100+ night... we're thinking of just driving straight down to Key West as we're on a budget.

Has anyone done an overnight drive down? Do you recommend? I'd guess there are enough lighting and things to make this a normal highway ride but we just want to make sure it's safe and easy since we've never been down to the Keys before and if there are any good late night stops we should make.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Philadelphia...
reviews: 89
21. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

When I fly in late, I usually stay in Key Largo for the night

Key West, Florida
reviews: 3
22. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

i haven't eaten here, but i hear great things. i'd stay close to this! :http://www.yelp.com/biz/shivers-bbq-homestead

Edited: 9:01 pm, January 14, 2013
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
23. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

We love Shiver's!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 66
24. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

I love Shriver's as well! If only Pat Croce would visit there, Charlie Macs might end up having good BBQ!

Upstate New York
reviews: 2
25. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

My first time to the Keys, we were delayed by a massive snowstorm on the east coast, so we didn't arrive until late at night. It wasn't much fun driving it in the dark with my passenger sound asleep. I would also recommend getting a room in Florida City or Key Largo and driving the rest in the daytime, it should be part of the experience, in my opinion.

26. Re: Driving overnight from FLL to Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 17, 2014