We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Freehold, New...
From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

So I'm planning a big trip into Key West, but we are all coming from New Jersey. Its much cheaper to fly into Miami/Fort Lauderdale, than it is into Key West, but then what's the best way to get to Key West from Miami/Fort Lauderdale? I'm trying to look into a ferry of some kind, but am running into difficulties on the sites. Nothing looks for sure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tampa, Florida
11. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

For the SunPass Mini you have to have a minimum of $10 on it and since they give you what you paid for it as toll credit it will automatically have $4.99 on it Therefore you have to add $5.01 to bring up the amount to $10. And I think that should be enough to get you to the Keys and back.

Google Florida Turnpike Tolls and you should find a link that gives you the toll charge at each toll gate.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 61
12. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

There's an alternative to the Sunpass for the lower section (cashless) part of the Turnpike.

You can establish a prepaid toll by plate account and assign the rental car to it for the rental duration (once you know the car details). You can set up the account initially with your own licence tag, even if you don't plan to take that car to FLa.

https://www.tollbyplate.com/index

This avoids the need to buy a Sunpass from a store and attach it to the windshield. It does mean you don't get the Sunpass toll discounts as the tolls are at the 'cash' rates (even though cash may not be taken any more).

Frozen North
reviews: 5
13. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

We just did this, and I rent from Avis. It cost me $2.50 for tolls on the way down. With Avis the transponder is on the vehicle and it doesn't charge unless you go through a toll. It cost me $2.50 for the service charge, and $2.50 for the toll. Priceless in my opinion to avoid the hassle of getting my own sunpass. Check what ever your rental agency charges. In my case it was totally stress free. So I would have saved $2.50, time and effort to get the sunpass, get it activitated, make sure Avis was notified and didn't charge me = NOT worth it.

toledo, oh
reviews: 8
14. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

I contacted Sunpass to ask if I could by a Sunpass mini via website prior to coming down and picking up a rental car. Here's the answer I got back:

Unless you have a pre-existing Sunpass account, you must add vehicle information

to activate a Mini transponder on a new Sunpass account. Please use your

personal vehicle for this purpose. When you receive your rental, you may end the

enrollment of your personal vehicle and add the enrollment of the rental vehicle

(with an end date for the rental time period).

Pen Argyl...
15. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

ok can anyone let us know which car rental places are at both Miami & Key west airport so we can just rent for the driving days to & from airport

Topsail Island, NC
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 33
16. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

We used Budget to rent a convertible to drive from FLL to the Key West airport, and then dropped it off. When it was time to drive back we used a different car rental company at the Key West airport (I think it was Avis or Alamo) to drive back to FLL.

I booked the vehicles a month or so in advance and it ended up being much more economical to rent from the two different car rental places. Both were easy to deal with, so my advice would be to shop around for the best rates.

I like flying directly into Key West because it's so much faster but I also really enjoy the drive. Have fun!

Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 10
17. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

That's easy enough to figure out. In a travel search engine (kayak, Expedia, etc), plug in MIA for the pickup and EYW for the drop off and see which companies come up. All the major companies will be represented.

Attleboro...
reviews: 8
18. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

We are doing the drive down for a few days pre-cruise. I just used a sister site and booked a pick up in MIA and drop off in FLL for $45 day, but economy size. There's only 2 of us, so this works out great! The last time we did the drive in a convertible, which was perfect, but this time we're on a budget. :( I couldn't find a convertible for under $90 a day.

roof or no roof, I can't wait! :)

Pen Argyl...
19. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Great thanks for that last info, sounds good for us to

20. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 13, 2014