We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
home
reviews: 1
First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

Hi, we are a couple in their 30s travelling to the Keys for the first time. We'll be there for 4 or 5 nights from Jan 10-15. We live in NYC and need 5 days of relaxation. We are still considering the Caribbean but hear great things about the Keys as well.

We are into unique places, boutique hotels, beaches, swimming, and nature. But most off all we want to relax, read a book, hear our thoughts (remember we live in Manhattan!). Not looking for a cultural adventure this time.

We don't feel like we HAVE to go to Key West necessarily. We are looking to spend about 200-300/night and eat fresh fish.

Haven't bought tickets yet but will most likely fly to MIA and rent a car. Maybe FT L if we get a good deal.

All help is welcome!

Edited: 12:28 am, December 11, 2012
reviews: 3
1. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

Lime Tree Bay Resort on Long Key in the Middle Keys. There's a pool and fishing pier and all the relaxation you could stand. All rooms have a kitchen. Across the bay is a boat/jet ski rental place; across the street is a convenience store and a gas station bout a mile up the road. It's right at half way between Islamorada and Marathon, so not too far to drive for eats.

I've never flown into Mia but hear it's a train wreck. We always fly into FLL and have never had a problem.

Knoxville
reviews: 4
2. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

Agree with Lime Tree Bay . . . It's our favorite spot in the Keys!!

3. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, December 11, 2012
Central Illinois
reviews: 17
4. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

FLL or MIA? Both have their positives. If you choose FLL, it'll be easier and quicker to get a rental car and to return it. I'd budget an extra 15-20 minutes drivng time from FLL, which is my particular preference.

That said, the flight times and pricing have made me choose MIA recently. While I wouldn't characterize MIA's rental car center a train wreck, I wouldn't argue with hoosierhubby, either. MIA took the concept of a consoladated rental center which FLL implemented and ran with it. Unfortunately, it's far away. So you have to walk a long distance in the airport, then take a train out to the rental center.

Depending on which rental company, you may be in a long line, then talking to the agent who takes care of your paperwork and sends you to the parking garage where you get in another line to get your car.

Exiting the garage, it's difficult to understand the signage to get onto LeJeune road, then eventually head south to the Keys. FLL is much easier.

There are plenty of wonderful spots for you to take it easy in the Keys. Since my preference is Key West, I'll leave the rest to others...but wanted to chime in on the rental car situation. Best of luck to you.

Knoxville
5. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

I just reread the first post and I am almost positive our room did not have a kitchen (or any semblance of one - it had a mini-fridge and that's it) and I would not call Lime Tree Bay a boutique hotel at all. Having said that, we LOVE it and recommend it highly! The ONLY thing we did not like about it were the TINY bathrooms. Being from Manhattan, though, you might be used to that!:)

NH
reviews: 3
6. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

A little more pricey but worth it is The Moorings in Islamorada. www.themooringsvillage.com Beautiful, peaceful, you can do as much or as little as you want. Good location to do day trips if you want or head out on the water. Great food right nearby.

new york
reviews: 590
7. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

Stay at Reach in Key West---fly to Key West from another spot skip the drive

Eat at Blue Heaven, Paseo, Salute! on the Beach, see sunset antics at Mallory Square.

I live in NYC also

Knoxville
8. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

For us, the drive (to the middle keys) is half the fun!!! The drive down is BEAUTIFUL, and has many interesting stops along the way!!

9. Re: First time in Keys - 5 days to CHILL. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 21, 2013