We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Biggleswade, United...
1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

We're looking for ideas for this trip of about 10days or so in February '13, where to stay and for how long and what to do etc. Plan to drive down from MIA. We'd like good hotels and good food recommendations please, along with anything that'll help us have a great trip.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

David

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
1. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

What do you like to do? Budget per night? Looking for peace and quiet or do you like to be around people? Want ideas for water activities or live music? Lots to do. Great food in the keys! Are you seafood lovers? Give us a starting point and read some of the travel guides. Then we will be happy to answer questions!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 41
2. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

The other Q is do you intend to stop and spend a few days on more than one key, with Key West as the final destination?

Pjk

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 66
3. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

I think 10 days is a long time for a trip to a key West. Have you been to Florida before? I would spend a couple nights in Miami, staying on South Beach. Great food amd plenty to see and do.

Then spend 2-3 nights in Islamorada, and 3-4 in Key West.

Once you finalize your itinerary, you can look for other recommendations. Drive time from Miami to Key West is about 3.5 hours with Islamorada being around the mid point.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 64
4. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

I'd plan to stay a few nights in two or three locations, Key Largo, Middle Keys and Key West.

I might add Florida City/Homestead for a night or two for a visit to the Everglades NP. It's mainly budget motels there, but being right at the end of the toll road would be a good place to stop and rest, especially if you have arrived after along flight early evening (which will seem much later).

I like the hotels around MM100 (mile marker 100) such as the Holiday Inn but there are several resort properties to choose from. Not sure what your budget is. There are plenty of restaurants though they are more spaced out in the Upper or Middle Keys which may necessitate driving to get s choice.

In terms of what to do, apart from lazing around it's mainly water based activities like snorkelling, diving, boating fishing etc. along with various wildlife activities. Key West offers plenty of bars and nightlife.

key west
reviews: 14
5. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Absolutely agree with sdts recommendations, some of my favorite places.

Biggleswade, United...
6. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Thanks for your response. Our budget is open, this is a special trip, we want to stay in nice places and eat good food, especially seafood and we want to see good, interesting places, as well as having some down time. Our idea is to drive down from MIA, maybe stay at Key Largo for 3 nights, Islamorada for 2 nights and Key West for 5 nights and then hopefully drop the rental car there and fly back to MIA to get the flight back home. Does that sound like a workable itinerary? All recommendations for accomodation, restaurants and activities welcomed. Thanks

key west
7. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Key largo and islamorada are so close I would chose something in islamorada, we love the moorings and you can walk or bike from there to some great restaurants and there is a great park as well.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
8. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Islamorada and Key Largo are pretty close together. For a special trip without budget concerns, I would stay at The Moorings in Islamorada. It is one of the nicest places in The Keys and walking distance from many good restaurants. You can easily explore Key Largo through Marathon from there as well.

In Key West, I think the B&BS are the nicest options. Look at The Gardens for one of the best. If you prefer more of a resort, The Pier House or Hyatt Downtown are both very nice.

I still think I would spend one or two nights in Miami if you have never been there. If not, I would split my time between The Moorings and Key West.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
9. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

LOL, jdjn, we think alike!

key west
10. Re: 1st Trip to the Keys for 2 60 y-o Brits, ideas please

Scary ;)