We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys without a reservation?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
raleigh,north...
Keys without a reservation?

Wife and I are thinking about a keys trip for 5 days in early march or late feb. Somewhere midway down like Marathon. What do you think about coming down freestyle without reservations?

1. Re: Keys without a reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, December 10, 2012
Western...
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 3
2. Re: Keys without a reservation?

I would have to agree with "should step away from the buffetguy". Take the time to research online and make a reservation.

We spent a week in Marathon last May and loved it.

PJ

conn
reviews: 119
3. Re: Keys without a reservation?

First off, there is no such thing as a stupid question. In my younger day I liked freestylin, let's you move on as you like. It is peak season in the Keys and finding good/reasonable lodging would be difficult. Minimum you may want to have at least the 1st couple of days hotel reserved. Hope you have a great trip.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 11
4. Re: Keys without a reservation?

To add to that, some places have minimum length stays, particularly if you are going to be in the keys over a weekend. Do the research and use the keys forum to ask questions. Our family does some freestyle road trips, but the keys are not the best place to try it.

Linden, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 1
5. Re: Keys without a reservation?

I wouldn't do it. It's high season and many places are booked.

Why would you want to spend your first day looking for a place to stay when instead you could be doing something fun.

Berwick, Maine
reviews: 1
6. Re: Keys without a reservation?

We have done it in Oct and Nov with no problem, but our friends tried it last year in March, and ended up staying with us in Key West. They could find lodging, but if you are in the least bit picky, you may not want to stay there, they couldn't find anything decent.

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
7. Re: Keys without a reservation?

if you don't care about driving for hours back and forth trying to find a place, then having to shell out $150 night for a shack with paper thin walls, or maybe having to drive all the way back to Florida City and paying top dollar for a room in a chain motel because all the nice, expensive places in the Keys are full up... Then not making reservations in peak season would be the right step!

If you do a search you'll find there are not that many nice, inexpensive places in the Middle Keys. Those that are often will be booked up or have a minimum stay, especially over the weekends.

It isn't like traveling to Vegas, where there are tens of thousands of rooms that are all similar and available.

Instead why not let us know what areas you find interesting and what your budget and needs are and we can all give you some suggestions.

There is plenty to do in the Keys if you want to wing it but rooms are a great thing to have reservations for and I would never think of showing up without a room reserved.

8. Re: Keys without a reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, December 11, 2012
Frozen North
reviews: 5
9. Re: Keys without a reservation?

Wow, or just call the above phone number and crash at Bobby B's house.

Vineland, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Vineland
reviews: 14
10. Re: Keys without a reservation?

I've done it. During the summer months there's no problem but during the high season, I ended up staying my first night in Homestead (definitely NOT the Keys). Thankfully I had reservations in KW for the rest of the week. I learned my lesson and have never done it again!!! Learn from me....PLEASE. Make reservations!!!

Get answers to your questions about Key West