We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 17
Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

We(4 adults and 2 kids) are renting an RV in Tampa and planning on driving to Miami and Key West.

Need advise/recommendation on RV parks close to Key West and Miami.

Would it be better to first visit Key West and then on our return stop by Miami?

RV parking based on online research is pricey - $100+ a night.. Are there any good places for RV parking on Dec 14th and Dec 15th?

Edited: 4:57 pm, December 09, 2012
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 32
1. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

This year?!? Most places book up close to a year ahead. If you can find a spot grab it!

Tampa, Florida
2. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Thanks. Was able to find one spot at "Bahia Honda State Park" on Dec 14th and haven't been able to find anything for Dec 15th so will keep looking.

Link: floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/default.cfm

key west
reviews: 13
3. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Is boyds all booked? Its right outside kw on stock island and very nice.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 83
4. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

You are very late in booking a place to camp. Also are you planning on having a car to drive around with? The roads in Key West are super narrow and piled with cars parked along both sides. Not fun to drive thru even with a regular car let alone an RV.

Check the Miami forums for campgrounds in that area. I would really do my research here to make sure you are in a good neighborhood. You will have to have a car here too unless you are near the rail or bus areas. Traffic is really crazy in Miami plus lots of tolls and they charge to park just about everywhere. Not much parking for RV's.

Knoxville
reviews: 7
5. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

We LOVE Bahia Honda! It is our favorite place in the Keys . . . I would snatch it up quickly!!

reviews: 3
6. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Trying to remember the tv show i saw. I know it's on Geyger (sp) Key. I want to say the name of the place is Fish Camp but not sure. Good luck.

Tampa, Florida
7. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

We still haven't lined up anything for Dec 15th in Miami.

However, we are planning on reaching the keys the night of Dec 13th since a last minute cancellation showed up online and we are staying at Long Key State Park.

We are not planning to rent a car in the keys. Eeither drive down in RV and park it in a municipal or city garage(am hoping they have space for an RV) or see if there is bus service to key west either from Long Key SP or Bahia Honda SP.

Dec 13th - Long Key SP

Dec 14th - Bahia Honda SP

Dec 15th - Miami

Edited: 1:55 pm, December 11, 2012
Frozen North
reviews: 5
8. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

RV's will not fit in any garage, but there is a city lot, depending on how large your RV is. There is a lot on Whitehead or Thomas, can't remember which that allows RV;s for I think $35. If you are renting anything 30ft or longer, I would recommend the car for a day, the city's streets are tight, and if you aren't used to driving an RV in that situation it may not be wise.

Tampa, Florida
9. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Trip update:

We had a very good time driving to key west and staying at the state parks with the RV.

I would rate Long Key best in terms of oceanfront views and Bahia Honda best in terms of activities that are available.

In Miami, we stayed at Larry and Penny Campground which was decent.

Driving an RV thro' key west streets is possible but parking is difficult on weekends but not impossible.

You can find several spots to park but you'll pay thro' the nose. We were quoted $40 to occupy 4 car spots for an hour or so which maybe a bargain but you just park at any city street and stay in the vehicle for a short while but as others have recommended its best to rent a car to get around the city or take a bus and rent a scooter!

Frozen North
reviews: 5
10. Re: Planning on RV trip to Miami and Keys

Thank you for posting your final experience, we often wonder how people made out after their trip. We love Long Key and Bahia Honda also.