We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving/walking in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Driving/walking in Key West

This is a personal observation by someone who lives and works in Key West. Yes, Key West is a tourist town. However, that doesn't mean that the residents are on vacation. We have jobs, drs. appointments, children to get to school, etc. So understanding you want to take your time and see the sights I would like to point out you are guests in this town. If you see someone is trying to get somewhere why must you get your nose out of joint? Especially during rush hour. Kindly move it along! I'm not saying speed or be unsafe. I'm saying use some logic and tact and allow the people who are the heartbeat of Key West to get where they are going. Traffic laws are the same everywhere- we don't have special ones here. The old " I'm not from around here!" is no good excuse for law breaking. And for goodness sake if you must cross the street wait for the light to change. You are blocking traffic while crossing and walking like a sloth. Then you are shocked when you get flipped off and cursed at! I have to assume if you have the money to vacation here you have a good job and if you have a good job you are a fairly intelligent person...there is nothing worse than a slovenly group, ice cream running down their double chins, meandering like Valium dosed cows holding up traffic! Not cute.

Washington
reviews: 23
1. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

I live in Washington, DC and we deal with tourists all the time. It is just a part of life of where we live. Sometimes, yes, I get upset at people crossing the street where they are not supposed to. Or blocking the right turn lane so they stop their car and take a picture of the Washington Monument. I would never think of cursing at anyone because of that, though.

Because of all the traffic here, including lots of visitors, my commute to/from work, less than 20 miles, is about an hour everday. However, if you choose to live and work in a place like DC, Key West, New York City, Boston, Miami or any other place that is a mecca for tourists, you need to be a little fllexible. For some people this may be a once in a lifetime trip and they may never get back to your city again. To them, it is vacation and they are on a different clock.

I love being out at lunch and walking past the White House and giving visitors directions. I love when they tell me everyone is so friendly (as I am sure that is not often the case). I like to see people enjoying all the sites in DC. I like to hear the excitement when a little kid sees Abraham Lincoln in the memorial for the first time.

I think everyone who lives in a tourist area needs to appreciate what they have and be as hospitable and accomodating a host as possible. That is one of the reasons I go to Key West frequently. I see that type of reception from most of the locals and it such a pleasure to meet such wonderful people!

Berwick, Maine
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

I understand and know what you mean. We see it all the time while in KW, stop lights for one don't seem to have any meaning. Last month while we were there we watched a guy stand in the middle of the road blocking traffic so he could take a picture of the Hemingway house. He was in no hurry to take the picture and less of a hurry to get out of the road. But, these are the same people with little to no consideration for anybody else that do this same thing no matter where they are. Its not just KW.

Buster

3. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:52 pm, December 08, 2012
Central PA
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
reviews: 53
4. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

It's not unique to Key West, you'll find it in many tourist towns. Goes with the territory. People are lost, not familiar with the streets, signs, or lack thereof. Breathe in, breathe out. What's another 2 minutes in the whole scope of things, really. Tourists pay the bills, we're glad they are in town. We know the short cuts to get around the traffic in our town. We get about the same number of visitors per year as KW, roughly 2 million.

Edited: 4:06 pm, December 08, 2012
conn
reviews: 107
5. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

WOW!! Merry Christmas!!

MI
reviews: 8
6. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

Talk about mean spirited! Idiots are everywhere, I don't see any reason to post in a travel forum about them when you are a local.

You live in paradise, RELAX! Sounds like you might be due for a vacation :)

chicago
reviews: 3
7. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

Hey,why don't you try a staycation and become a tourist in your own town for a few days which might give a different view on things and maybe appreciate your town a little more.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 14
8. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

The OP is correct. There are way too many tourons that only cross the street against a red light, have no clue that cars are coming. There are PLENTY of the idiots that seem to stand on the corner, look around, and THEN cross once the light turns red for them.

If they would hustle across, it'd be one ting, but they waddle across like they don't have a care in the world (more likely, don't have a brain in their heads).

9. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 09, 2012
Kelso, United...
reviews: 8
10. Re: Driving/walking in Key West

Nice to see the residents of Key West welcome tourists with open arms