We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a week in florida

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 1
a week in florida

I am taking my 6 children, aged between 11 and 20,to Florida for a week next August, on the way back to Europe from Peru. Stop over airport is Miami. My children want to go to Orlando, naturally, and I want to go to the Keys. Any ideas for combining the two with overnights in Miama on arrival and before departure? We have been to the States once before, for a week in New York. Thank you.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
reviews: 22
1. Re: a week in florida

SIX kids? Send them to Orlando, you head to the keys. ;-)

These are 2 completely different vacations. 2 completely different "atmospheres".

"The Keys" are a 100 mile stretch of islands, starting about 75 minutes south of MIA. Orlando is about 4 hours north of MIA.

First figure out what you want to do on your vacation. Then make the decision about how much time you want to spend in the car. Then it will become more apparent as to what direction your vacation should head.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
2. Re: a week in florida

Personally I would not do both the Keys and Orlando in the short time you will have. It is possible but a logistics nightmare! As buffetguy says, Orlando is a 4 hour drive north of Miami and the Keys are south of Miami. The Keys are lovely and Key Largo (the first Key) is about a 1.5 hour drive south of Miami. Key West is another 100 miles further down. I would go for one destination or the other but not both.

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
3. Re: a week in florida

The original post doesn't mention driving...

So...

there are plenty of flights between MIA and Orlando, and I believe there should be flights between Key West and Orlando, as well as KW & MIA. That will cut down on the long drives and, even with a week's worth of time, would be a better way to get between the two places.

Given the children's ages I'd suggest connecting to Orlando out of Miami and staying there for 3 nights, then flying down to Key West for 3 nights and renting a car for the drive back up the Keys to Miami.

While the kids would surely want to spend all their time in Orlando I think that would bankrupt anyone. The theme parks aren't cheap.

MI
reviews: 33
4. Re: a week in florida

You could always tell the kids Orlando is just too far to drive and stay in S FL, heading down to the keys for a few days. :)

5. Re: a week in florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 16, 2013