We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west vacation rental review: Honeymoon Hideaway

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
82 posts
103 reviews
key west vacation rental review: Honeymoon Hideaway

Hey Everyone. I wrote a review for our vacation rental in KW last month. But it appears the company has taken the property down off Trip Advisor (I wonder why?). So I wanted to post my review here in case anyone ever searches for the property on here.

Subject: Honeymoon Hideaway - PRIVATE SPA, HEATED POOLS!

Location: Key West, Florida Keys, Florida, United States, North America

Title: Good, but a little disappointed. Expected a bit more.

ID#: 142355328

Our stay at the Honeymoon Hideaway was not quite what we were expecting. In fact, we were somewhat disappointed with our stay because how much it failed to meet our expectations. Not to say our stay wasn't good. It was, just not as good as we had thought. My husband and I wanted a small, reasonably priced place in the middle of old town Key West. Honeymoon Hideaway met that need.

The location is perfect! It is 1 block off of Duval Street. We debated renting bikes before getting down there, but everything was within a 15 minute walk. So I'm glad we saved the money and had one less thing to worry about. We walked down to Mallory Square and the docks to catch the Yankee Freedom. So the location is A+++. There is only street parking. We were able to get a spot right out front and just left the car there for our entire stay.

The bungalow itself was nice, smaller then we expected. But for what we needed, a clean place to sleep and shower, it was perfect. We weren't planning on spending a lot of time in our room. The bathroom was very small with more of a closet door which didn't lend well to privacy. The shower is nice. I would have liked to have seen a clothes line in there to hang up wet clothes, but that is a minor thing. The bed was very comfortable. The kitchenette was about the size we expected. It has dishes and supplies so that you can prepare meals. We were really looking forward to that as we were trying to save a little money by making breakfast and lunch ourselves. They do offer free wifi, but the signal was so poor, that we were never able to connect. We ended up tethering to our phones instead.

The biggest problem was the bugs! Sugar ants is what we were told they were called. The first night it wasn't a big deal. We saw a couple around the window, killed them using the can of bug spray that was under the sink, and moved our food towards the center of the counter. When we woke up the next morning, they were all over the kitchen and bathroom. I called KW Vacation Rentals who told us that they are everywhere and that we can't even leave toothpaste in the sink. They told us they would send someone over. About an hour later, the maid showed up with a can of bug spray and started spraying everything. Needless to say, all our food was either stored in the fridge or in our car. It was a complete disappointment. But the ants appeared to be gone, so we were happy. After diving that afternoon, we came back that evening to find the ants now in the bedroom. There is only 1 set of hooks to hang anything on. We had our bathing suits hung up on there. I guess that is what attracted the ants b/c there were hundreds of them coming out of the smoke detector in the ceiling down to our clothes. Again, we sprayed everything down and washed our clothes out.

I understand we were in Key West during a season where the ants are in large numbers, but this was just too much. We were only staying for a few days. So we didn't feel like making a huge deal out of it. If we were there for any longer though, I would have been down at their office demanding a new place to stay.

The front deck is nice. We enjoyed having the private hot tub. It was nice and fairly new. They need to clean it out a little more often (there was some dirt and sand in it). Since there isn't a lot of room in the apartment, we left our swim gear out on the deck to dry. They have nice chairs out there as well. The one down side to the deck was the cover that extends off the roof. When we got there, it was rolled up. I couldn't figure out how to lower it, so I called the office. They told me that the tool to lower it is in their office because it isn't safe for the renters to do it. I was fine with that answer since they said they would have someone come over right away to do it. The next afternoon, the cleaning crew lowered it for us. I was a little upset that right away meant 24 hours, but again, once it was down, the deck was nice and cool. So we were happy.

There are 2 pools that are shared by the group of houses there. We did not go in the pool, but it looked nice. We met several of the other guests around the pool and enjoyed hanging out with them.

Overall, the Honeymoon Hideaway served the purpose we had rented it for. It gave us a reasonably priced place to stay that was in the middle of everything. My husband and I agree that there are probably a lot worse places to stay and the positives outweigh the negatives. So we do recommend it for that reason.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: key west vacation rental review: Honeymoon Hideaway

Hum, thanks for your review. We were considering the HH for our Feb trip but decided on another unit, glad we did. However, we've seen ants in several units we've stayed in. You need to put your food in zip lock bags or keep it in the fridge or stove.

2. Re: key west vacation rental review: Honeymoon Hideaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 16, 2013