We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FantasyFest 2013

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
FantasyFest 2013

My wife and I are thinking about coming to FantasFest for the first time next year. I would love to find out what we need to know. Things like where to stay (we're willing to pay to be on or near Duval), what to do, when to start booking the trip, etc.?

I am really looking forward to it so any info is going to be very helpful.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
1. Re: FantasyFest 2013

I think the first thing to do is to decide how you want to get to Key West. Fly in and back. Fly to someplace in Florida then drive the rest of the way. Maybe drive part of the way in then fly all the way back. You might even want oto stay overenight at on of the upper keys.

Then you should decide on one of the larger hotels along lower Duval or one a bit farther away, or a smaller hotel or a B&B. Then you can start getting suggestions.

Pjk

Sarasota FL
2. Re: FantasyFest 2013

If you're coming for the whole week, my advice is get on vrbo.com right now and start looking for your place. It's not too early.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 22
3. Re: FantasyFest 2013

No , its not too early at all...I was there last month for FF and I'm already trying to book the place I want for next year and I'm finding many places already booked for the next FF. Also most places have a 5-7 day minimal reservation that week...Do not book airline tickets yet.

Wait till 3 or 4 months before FF. But start watching prices just to get a idea of how you'll decide to get there that week...and if you see tickets dirt cheap, jump on them. As Pjk said there's a couple of ways to get to the island....I prefer to fly in all the way...Philly offers 6am flights and we land between 11am and noon...

Life is Good

If you have any questions send me a PM and I'll try to help...Your going to have fun :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 33
4. Re: FantasyFest 2013

I agree with the above - definitely book your accomodations as soon as possible. It's been a few years since we've been in KW during FF, but the B&B where we stayed gives priority to their regular FF guests. A lot of their guests have a standing reservation and return year after year. We happened to luck into a room availability situation when a couple decided not to go that year. Even so, that was eight months before FF. You won't run into that with the hotels of course, but it's something to think about it you're considering a B&B or small inn.

Ben Wheeler, Texas
reviews: 7
5. Re: FantasyFest 2013

check this post for first timers.

good information:

destination360.com/forum/florida/18429-trave…

Ohio43082
6. Re: FantasyFest 2013

After you get the, where you are staying and how you are getting there figured out. (SouthWest if flying into Key West now FYI) You need to go to the official Fantasy Fest website to find out what is being sponsored each night. For instance, Captain Tony's has a plaid night and a toga night. There is a cowboys and Indians night and a red night. It changes so the web site will tell you which night is which. If you are offended by nudity, don't book your flight, you will be surrounded by it.

The website also sets the rules and guidlines for behavior and dress.

Such as asking before you take photos, no weapons, lots of info. If you have a car, try to get a place to stay that offers a parking place. Parking is $40 - 50 a night.

Prepare to have the time of your life

San Diego...
reviews: 36
7. Re: FantasyFest 2013

I have never been to FF but from what I see on this forum you need to book somewhere to stay NOW!

Many people book for the next FF as they depart from the current one.

New York
reviews: 2
8. Re: FantasyFest 2013

I have a question regarding FF. My friend's 40th birthday is October 17th so we are looking to go down Wednesday the 16th and leaving saturday the 19th, FF's 1st day being friday the 18th. Is the 1st night usually really crazy right off the bat? We are actually trying to avoid that craziness but would prefer to not have to leave on the 18th.

NH
reviews: 16
9. Re: FantasyFest 2013

I was down for the first time in 2012, and my dates lined up similar to yours (Tuesday to Sunday, and hitting the first "dates" of FF on Friday and Saturday).

I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I will say Saturday night was a blast, and certainly seemed pretty "Fantasy Festive" to me. We had a blast, but I didn't think it was too over the top.

Friday was more like a "normal" Friday in Key West, I surmise. There wasn't any real Fantasy Fest activities, as we didn't go to the Goombay Festival.

Edited: 11:06 am, February 20, 2013
Lake Orion, Michigan
reviews: 6
10. Re: FantasyFest 2013

This year will be our fifth attending FF. We don't arrive till the first Saturday which will have a theme of Little Black Dress. There were quite a few of the ladies that were dressed up last year. I believe it has only been around for a couple years and sure to get more popular like Sundays Pirate Night has. Haven' heard of anything "exciting" happening on the first Friday.