We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Probably everyone knows this but I just found it out this past September on a trip to Europe.

While I couldn't make calls on my phone, it was able to pick up the hotel's Wifi. Instead of booting up my computer I could check the weather, look up an address, check email, and even the TA forums on it. I never took it out of the hotel, but it was convenient to have internet access in my hand. Other people have mentioned that some, non-internet-dependant apps work on a smart phone.

So if you are coming to Key West from Europe, S. America, etc., and you are staying somewhere with internet access, you may be able to use your phone for everything except calls.

Pjk

Central PA
reviews: 59
1. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Get the Magic Jack app and call for FREE via the internet.

Calgary
reviews: 1
2. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

You can also Skype using wifi on your smartphone. I've done that from both the US and the Caribbean (Canadian cellphone companies' roaming charges are brutal).

Quality isn't too bad for voice calls. Not sure about other smartphones, but there's a Skype app for the iPhone.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 40
3. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

My friend calls her mother from Paris on her IPAD via Skype. She used to buy a phone card but says Skype amounts to only pennies per call.

Pjk

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 34
4. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Depends on what kind of phone you have, but there are several phones out right now that are global phones (Verizon's iPhone 5 for instance) that work for both data and voice in many countries. Of course, it can be pricey unless you're on a global plan, but they do work. As PJK mentioned, using WiFi is a great option.

ontario, canada
reviews: 3
5. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Being Canadian I checked out internet use with my service provider. It cost an extra 40.00 for one month of phone use only. Internet service would incur massive roaming charges and I was advised to turn off all data on my phone. I use my laptop for pretty much everything but in case of emergencies ( or ordering pizza) it's nice to have a phone.

Central PA
6. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Not sure what type of phone you have. But smart phones just use the wifi, turn of the phone part. No extra charges, unless the wifi isn't free.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 34
7. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

I agree - many places offer free WiFi. If you turn off the mobile network (data) and take advantage of free WiFi, there should be no roaming charges for data use.

mohrsville
reviews: 10
8. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Dude when I'm on vacy the phone goes away. My wife happily takes the pictures , updates, weather checks etc etc. As for me when I'm on vacay I could'nt care less about anything else other then enjoying my lil getaway!!!

Ebensburg, PA
reviews: 232
9. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

With data turned off on the phone, are you still able to do data using wi-fi? That seems counter-intuitive. I believe that on my Droid RAZR that it would not work that way, and I tried it in several European countries, but perhaps I did something wrong. I believe that I got a message that said that data had to be enabled in order to use the wi-fi for data, but I may be mistaken about that, or perhaps I was not doing it correctly. ?????

BTW, I do have SKYPE on my Droid. Also, you can get a fairly inexpensive phone plan for European countries ($4.99/month?) for Android systems, but data is very expensive. I'm with Verizon.

Central PA
10. Re: Smart Phone Usage for non-US Visitors

Try this...In settings, turn your airplane mode on. This will disable your phone portion. In a wifi hotspot, turn you wifi on. You will now be connected to the internet without using any of your data plan associated with your phone.