We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 2
How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

(I am reposting this. Already posted the same question in Miami forum)

My family and I will be visiting Miami for 4 days after cruise. My parents will stay for the first night and leave. My husband and I will stay another 3 nights.

My friend told me there is not much to see in Miami, (I don't like night life and I am not big on shopping either) so I am hoping to visit Key West. I just don't know how many days I should allot for each place.

Questions:

After first night with parents in Miami, should I stay 1 or 2 nights in Key West, before staying the remaining night(s) in Miami again?

Or is it better to stay in Miami, then Key West, and then go straight home, so I will worry less about changing hotels (although I will worry about rushing to the airport with a long drive)?

I don't think there is enough time for my parents to visit Key West, if we will be in Miami after 10am, and they need to get to the MIA airport around noon the next day.

I would love some suggestions from people who have been to both places.

key west
reviews: 14
1. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

Well, I've lived both places ;). Here's the thing, Miami has great beaches as well as history. Google vizcaya. Key west is more chill. Both places have great food. I think your parents should stay in Miami or maybe travel to key largo and islamorada with you for the day and then head back the next morning while you continue on down the keys till you reach kw. Head back to Miami the night before your flight so your not stressed or the day before if there's more you want to do there.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

oops. forgot to mention I need to use the rental car to drive my parents back to the airport.

So do you suggest 2 nights in Key West?

great suggestion on Vizcaya! Thanks

Los Angeles
reviews: 44
3. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

why not fly your parents up to MIA from Key West the next morning? It's usually about $100/ person.

That way you all could enjoy a leisurely drive down the Keys and a nice dinner at one of Key West's nice restaurants.

Then just take a comfortable taxi to the airport, instead of that depressing, long drive up the 1.

If you don't have a specific list of places you want to go to in Miami just one day will probably be enough, even in South Beach. In Key West, there's so much to see in such a small, walkable area, that it can take a few days to see all of Old Town, and much longer to experience it all! You don't really need a list of things to see, because they're all right around the corner.

Knoxville
reviews: 4
4. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

Another option: I would stay in the middle keys (somewhere between Islamorada and Marathon). You could take a day trip to Key West, but not stay there. We like the middle keys WAY better, and you said that you weren't into nightlife, so you might feel the same. For Key West devotees: I am not suggesting that that's ALL there is to do in KW, but it is a huge draw!

key west
reviews: 14
5. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

It sounds like your parents won't get to see the keys so why not spend the day and night in miami. Key biscayne has crandon park with a beach and nice bike paths as well as good restaurants with lovely views. The gables is beautiful with historic architecture, tje grove has changes quite a bit but maintains some of its funky charm. There's also Mary brickell village etc etc. Lots to do in Miami. Then head down to key west, definitely enough to do in two days and nights.

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

Thanks for all the suggestions! okay I am pretty sure I will stay 2 nights in/around Key West.

Marcomamma, what do you think about staying one night in Marathon, just hanging out there the first day, then stay another night in Key West? a lot of hotel changing lol.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
reviews: 30
7. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

I'm not Marcomamma - but I think you should stay a night in the Keys outside of Key West. Yes, a lot of changing, but the two places are so different. I think Key West is good for a day - and there is so much to see and do in the middle Keys.

Knoxville
reviews: 4
8. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

I agree with bluewater . . . You need at least one day in the middle keys. If it were me, I would stay both days around the Marathon area and not switch hotels. You could easily drive into Key West one day and stay as long as you want. However, if you give us a little more information on what you like to do on vacation, we could make a better recommendation for you. Maybe I would change my mind and send you to KW to stay, but for now, my recommendation is middle keys!

9. Re: How many days to allot for Key West and Miami?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 25, 2013