We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Power Boat weekend traffic

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Post Power Boat weekend traffic

Down in KW right now for the Power Boat races. What an event!! Amazing boats!!

Here is my question though....

I'm leaving on Monday, is the traffic going to be miserable heading back to Miami? Will all those huge trucks and trailers im seeing around town be leaving on Monday as well...or will they head out on Sunday?

Any advice on timing leave to try to avoid the mass chaos I'm assuming will be happening?

Key West
reviews: 14
1. Re: Post Power Boat weekend traffic

Some will be leaving as soon as their races are over. I've scene them headed up the highway 2 hours after the races are done. others especially the big boats and teams will wait until Monday or even Tuesday to leave. They do not cause any more of a traffic jam then the people who dive 5-10 mph under the speed limit and slow down on the bridges to take in the view. Most of the teams are professionals and they don't screw around and drive slow. They have alot of distance they need to cover and they want to make the trip as short as they can.

Bonez

*edit for spelling

Edited: 2:57 pm, November 10, 2012
Juno Beach, Florida
reviews: 13
2. Re: Post Power Boat weekend traffic

We have been to KW for numerous event weeks and find that leaving before first light gets us through the keys with no problems, no matter what the event weekend was. We saw Semper Fi today on the 95 heading north, and as Bonez said, they know what they are doing and do not slow down traffic. However, stay clear of mini vans!

key west
reviews: 14
3. Re: Post Power Boat weekend traffic

it's pretty staggered. You won't notice them anymore than when all the bikers leave after bike week. It's just our normal "season" traffic and definitely not "mass chaos" now, Flagler at rush hour, that's another story.

Frozen North
reviews: 5
4. Re: Post Power Boat weekend traffic

The chaos is at the airport flyimg out on Monday. So sad Semper Fi could'nt be fixed for tomorrows races. RIP #100 & #31

5. Re: Post Power Boat weekend traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 23, 2013