We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
27 reviews
Key West

Hi everyone,

I'm from Australia and am thinking about visiting Florida next February. Interested in key west. - is it similar at all to Hawaii?

My wife and I are 30 and we will have about 14 days in Florida, at this stage I'm thinking of about 4 days in Orlando area 4 days miami and 4 days in keys with 2 days for travel or just to chill.

We went to Maui last year and loved it, we are pretty active outdoor but like food and drink too, do you guys think my rough plan sounds good?

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Key West

Sounds like a great trip!

I think you'll love Key West. As you like the outdoors I'd maybe spend less time in Miami and more time taking a few days to drive the Keys stopping off in a place or two - maybe Key Largo to do a boat/fishing trip. Miami just doesn't do it for me - I prefer laidback casual nightlife.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Key West

BTW, why are you spending 4 days in Orlando? What are you doing other than the parks?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Key West

Hi Brodie,

Thanks for the reply.

Dunno about Orlando at this stage - I assume a couple of days at parks, maybe a day to relax after the flight over, not really sure.

Maybe a day or two at St Augustine, that's what someone on here suggested. But I haven't really looked into it, maybe not much there.

What do you reckon??

ohio
Level Contributor
254 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Key West

I have been to Maui and Key West, They are very different but both great. Maui has awesome natural beauty, and little culture I would say comparitively speaking and Key West is tiny with a little natural beauty and much in the way of laid back island culture, great cuisine and world class party bars. Most of Key West's beauty lies off shore, or in the great old homes in old town.

Definately stay in a bed and breakfast in old town when you go to Key West.

Cheers,

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Key West

St Augustine is great! If it were me, I'd definitely spend time there and in the Keys over so many days in Orlando and Miami, as I prefer smaller areas that lend themselves to walking, rather than big cities with a lot of cars, highways, etc.

That said, the Disney parks, especially Epcot and Animal Kingdom, can be great fun; and South Beach is worth checking out for a day or two.

I think your plan to have a day or so of rest after your flight is an especially good one!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Key West

Key West and Saint Augustine are my two favorite FL destinations, but if you are flying all the way from Australia for two weeks by all means spend a couple of days in the Disney parks - Epcot is my favorite but everyone needs to go to the Magic Kingdom at least once in their life.

No Key West is nothing at all like Hawaii. We went to Oahu and the Big Island four years ago and are going to Maui next year. Key West is way smaller in scope - you do not need a car and much less of a beach, hiking and sightseeing destination. Go to St. Augustine first, it will give you a taste of what Key West is like in terms of restaurants and bars withing a walking area.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't spend 18 hours on a plane to go to Florida, I would go back to a different island in Hawaii.

Edited: 9:50 am, November 09, 2012
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Key West

Personally I would not spend 4 days in Miami but spend longer in Key West and St Augustine.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
29,561 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Key West

I just came across this and thought it might help you...

cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2012/10/from_…

Pjk

conn
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Key West

It's a long drive from St Augustines to Key West. Where are your flying into. If you haven't decided. I would fly into Miami, see South Beach, Evergaldes, and the Keys (including Kew West). More time to enjoy and relax.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
64 reviews
10. Re: Key West

As long as we are throwing out suggestions Savannah GA is only a 3 hour drive from St. Augustine and is a wonderful city.