We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 3
Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

I was just reading in another thread, someone’s concern for the Simonton Courts webcams, in regards to privacy

So I hopped on over to their website and I must say, I was pretty shocked.

At the pool cam, I was able to zoom in on a woman sitting there on her laptop. I zoomed spot on to her keyboard and was able to see everything she was typing.

Do I have an issue when Im captured on Duvall St/public cams? Absolutely not. It’s a public street

Do I have an issue when Im sitting at a private pool , on my laptop, possibly checking my bank balance ?...yah damn right I do. Im really surprised no one has complained to the management of this hotel.

For those who have stayed there, is there a sign at the pool stating that you are being viewed and a ZOOM CAPABLE webcam?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 42
1. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

"Simonton Court is glad to be able to provide to their current and potential clients the ability to view the property and the surrounding areas."

Seems short-sighted to me.

Pjk

conn
reviews: 118
2. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

Wow!! Doesn't sound like a place I'd like to stay and relax.

San Diego...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

That's ridiculous. It's leaving themselves open to the wrong kind of exposure(!)

They can't control what gets seen on the webcams or how their property comes across.

It would be wiser to feature a professionally shot video of the complex in order for potential clients to see the place.

ohio
reviews: 11
4. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

Kind of creepy, what if you want to lay out topless, or go for a late night skinny dip?

conn
reviews: 118
5. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage posted about this?

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
reviews: 73
6. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

Many web cams do not allow the users to control the camera. I still don't like this, but Simonton Court should deactivate this function immediately. I am going to email them and see what they say. Be aware they are not the only place that has them. Southernmost on The a beach has one that the user can not control, but it zooms in and out invading the privacy of guests on the sunning pier.

I guess I have a new question to ask before I book anywhere.

Edited: 8:19 am, November 06, 2012
Gloucester, Virginia
reviews: 11
7. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

Please share their response with the form if/when you receive one. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about them.

skm

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 14
8. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

I emailed them my opinion quite some time ago that I would not consider returning due to the cams and that I suspect not everyone, but others would feel the same way, so they may want to give that choice some thought. I did it very nicely and truthfully mentioning how often I had previously stayed there and what an otherwise wonderful property they operate. I can't share their response because I never got one.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 18
9. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

This isn't just a privacy issue or a safety issue, but both! Its one thing to have a security camera on the property for the owner's use or cameras in public (like Duval); but to have cameras with public access- and zoomable public access at that-within a private area is not right. First, I should feel safe and "private" within a property I am staying at, not have to feel that the entire world is watching me at the private pool. At least a more distant view without the zoomable feature would make more sense. Second, can you say 'stalking'! Once someone knows you are there they can really get personal without you even knowing. Bank accounts, other passwords, what I'm wearing (or not!) under that skirt, etc. This is a really big deal. Until Simonton addresses this, I won't even consider them.

Central Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: Simonton Court webcams...are you kidding me????

You know what they say about curiosity. Well, I couldn't control the camera just now...but someone else was doing a pretty good job of it. There she was at the pool wearing a yellow bikini bottom. Yep..you got it. I'm quite certain she would not be thrilled to know what got shown on the internet this afternoon. I had been considering staying at Simonton Court simply because friends speak so highly of it. I don't believe so, now.