We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 2
Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Has anyone had experience renting from these people? Could you post actual pictures of the place and let us know how it went.

16 replies to this topic
Vass, North Carolina
reviews: 10
1. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Soapy - We rented from them in 2009 during Fantasy Fest. It was a very nice expierence. We had one small issue that was resolved within 6 hours of being indetified to the owner.

South Jersey
reviews: 64
2. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

My brother rented from them last month with no issues that I know of.

Minneapolis...
3. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Thanks guys!

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

COCKROACHES !!! This place is NOT CLEAN. We paid for 4 nights in advance for the Seagull Unit and about 5 minutes after we closed the lights on day one we could hear the cockroaches crawl in the kitchen sink. I killed one (see picture) and we called the emergency service at 11 PM. The guy started laughing when we said the place was infested with cockroaches, said "get used to it, you're in the tropics". Oh yeah? We've been travelling to the Caribbeans for years and never had any cockroaches in our condos/hotels. You can see on the picture there are some Cheerios under the kitchen counter... before that we looked at the hot tubs and the water was murky with leaves and dead insects at the bottom..not the most romantic setup. In all fairness, the place is quiet and not so bad if you're travelling on a tight budget and don't want to spend time in your room. But we decided to move out the first night and we went to the hotel. Management refused to reimburse us and said that they sprayed the unit with pesticides so they considered having done their part to accomodate us... But we never went back and stayed at the hotel for the rest of our stay in Key West.

Edited: 11:20 pm, May 07, 2012
Fort Lauderdale...
5. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

I could not agree more with Alex, the management here is impossible to deal with or reason with. The property we stayed at was a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom condo directly above the rental office and it was absolutely DISGUSTING. The bedding was filthy and old, the bathrooms had mold, the hot tub had mold, the maid service did not show up to clean every day we were there. The owner walked in on me changing my clothes (never apologized for doing so "because he is the owner") and stood at the bottom of our stair case listening to our conversations until we caught him doing it. The website says they have pet friendly properties so we brought our small dogs and paid for them to stay with us...after a day of them being there with us he forced us to board them and refused to refund us the money we paid for the full stay. I would never recommend this rental company to my worst enemy, the owner made our relaxing vacation a complete nightmare for NO reason. Please don't waste your money on this place!

Edited: 11:23 pm, December 09, 2012
Key West, Florida
6. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Soapy,

As you probably know, Bone Island Vacation Rentals is a property management company that manages a number of homes, condos and cottages. As is typical, there is likely a range of quality among the properties they manage.

There is something about the previous two first time posts that reference "don't stay at this place" that seems "off".

Keep reading reviews on the actual properties you are considering.

Edited: 8:10 am, December 10, 2012
Key West, Florida
7. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Apologies, I see this is over a year old. Need coffee before posting....

Fort Lauderdale...
8. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

No there is nothing that is "off"...our experience with them was a nightmare as I previously stated. I have stayed at and rented numerous places with very welcoming and gracious owners who haven't made it their personal mission to ruin my trip by harassing me/slash walking in on me changing my clothes. Read all the advice you want about this place but I have already read numerous posts on other sites and the overall consensus has been "don't do it".

Key West, Florida
9. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

Sorry Steph, my mistake, as I said. I misread the timeline. Apologies!

boston, ma
10. Re: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida

My husband & I just rented a unit from BIVR in the "Tropical Village Compound" on South Street for a week. We had a very positive experience. Our unit was clean, and was fairly well stocked with any essential household item / kitchen utensil that you might need. The compound has a shared small swimming pool, gas grill, and washers & dryers. We found the BIVR staff to be friendly and responsive. We had one issue with the cable TV not working, and someone was there to address it within 15 minutes. Have been to Key West many times, and feel that our rental unit from BIVR was in a great location, had all the basic amenities and conveniences we needed, and was very budget friendly - especially for Key West during February "high season". I would rent definitely from them again.

Reply to: Bone Island Vacation Rentals in Key West Florida
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted