We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
peoria
car rental

I will be visiting Key West in May. I'll be coming down from Fort Lauderdale Airport. Would it be better to rent a car for 7 days or just do a one way rental both ways?

Cost is almost the same but I wouldn't have to worry about parking it on my stay.

What do you think?

North Metro ATL, GA
reviews: 6
1. Re: car rental

If the cost is about the same, I would actually consider keeping the car a week. With the two one day rentals, you'd also have to figure in two cab fares to/from the airport.

When we've had a car, we've been able to find a spot on the street, where the vehicle stays until we leave. Just don't leave it in one of those "resident only" parking spots, (right sdw?). With your visit in May, parking in Old Town shouldn't be as much of an issue as it would during the spring high season.

It also gives you the option to explore some other islands, such as the key Deer Refuge on Big Pine, the bat house on Summerland Key (or is it Sugarloaf?), or Bahia Honda State Park. Not to mention a stop at the Baby's Coffee roasting plant at MM15, that is some fine coffee.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
2. Re: car rental

I did it again...posted a new topic trying to reply here...it's the "I'll ditto that" post.

peoria
3. Re: car rental

Thanks for the advice Ja hey. Thats just what I needed. Thanks for the great pictures too. Got anymore? By the way, is all parking on the streets free in Key West?

Norfolk, Virginia
reviews: 8
4. Re: car rental

LOL at Ja hey. Yes, they don't mark those "resident only" spots very clearly. Honestly, who the heck thinks of reading the faded paint on a parking spot at night after a long day of travel? I prefer the days before they had all of the streets painted up with parking spots and directions for who to park there.

The only parking you will have to pay for is along Duval Street and the two streets that run parallel to Duval...being Whitehead and Simonton (and the cross streets). Oops, and Caroline.

Rockford, Minnesota
reviews: 2
5. Re: car rental

Tilewoman, I don't know what company you are using to rent a car. The last 3 years in a row I have rented from Dollar and they do not charge any extra to drop the car off anywhere in Florida including Key West. We pick up the car at Ft.Lauderdale Airport and drop off the next day in Key West and it only cost about $30.00 with tax for an economy car which I have actually never got. They have always gave me a free upgrade because they were out of economy cars when I got there. From the Key West Airport I then take the City Bus for $1 back to old town and only one block from our Hotel. I have checked Alamo & they also do not charge extra to drop car off at diff. location in Florida.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
6. Re: car rental

Budget does.

North Metro ATL, GA
reviews: 6
7. Re: car rental

tilewoman -

Thanks for the good words about the photo album, Key West is a very photogenic town. When I say your nickname, I couldn't help but think of one of the pictures I posted LOL.

Enjoy your trip to Key West, whatever car rental option you choose.

peoria
8. Re: car rental

Ja hey, Oh yea you are right, the car. Actually I joined trip advisor 2 years ago when I was selling ceramic tile. These days I call myself vicknparadise even if I do live in Peoria Illinois. I fell in love with Anguilla BWI 5 years ago. Love The Beach.

.http://www.frappr.com/iloveanguilla

I know KW is way different but it will be fun.

appreciate your help

Vicki

peoria
9. Re: car rental

LOL oh not the car. I just looked at the pictures again. There is a TILE WOMAN. How Cool!! She is really pretty. Where is she? I will have to look for her.

Vicki

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: car rental

I also will be flying into FL from Ontario Canada in April. We are wanting to rent a car from there to travel down to the keys. We just arent sure on where to stay while down there. Any ideas on maybe an efficency room somewhere near the keys? And thanks on the 'Dollar' tip for renting a car...

Get answers to your questions about Key West